Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Getting FPSC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 01:18
Hello, im new and only found out about this engine yesterday. Ive downloaded the demo and i think its creat, though it is a little slow when i test it.

I also have big plans for making a WW2 game, and ive wanted to make one for a long time. Im planning on getting the engine, along with model packages 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10. Ive totaled this up and it comes to £88.75 (with the 30% off thing).

This is alot of money to me, so my main question is: Is this engine really worth getting to make a decent WW2 game and if I purchase it along with the model packages will I be able to sell my game in the future to make money, without paying the makers anything?

Thanks!
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 01:39
Quote: "Is this engine really worth getting to make a decent WW2 game"

It depends. FPSC is used mainly as a hobby, a toy, but there have been a few games commercially released which were made by FPSC.

For your second question, you don't have to pay TGC or the makers a cent, but I recommend you credit them in some way, shape, or form.

Welcome, Mansfield Billy.

~AI

Kola
A game set during the second Cold War
Coming Q3 2009
Mansfield Billy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 01:43
Thanks, i want to use it to create a commercial game. Ive been messing with the 30 day trial demo and its quite good, and I think with the extra model packages i could turn it into a good game.

Also, would it be possible to make a game that:
Has 20-30 Levels plus goes online with like 5-10 onine levels just in one game, without making people download like 10 different games.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 02:14 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 02:20
Quote: "Is this engine really worth getting to make a decent WW2 game"

FPSC is the best first person shooter engine you can develop for.

Given the software comes with a WW2 pack out of the box, yes you can make a great game in that genre.

If you want something on par with Call of Duty you'll need to have a Vista PC with directx10 graphics card and FPSC X10. It supports allies, neutral and enemy behaviour features so you can have levels working in a group in addition to going it alone which you kind of need in a good WW2 FPS.

I would just start with the software and save some money. See what you can get out of the stock media before deciding to buy a load of model packs.

TGC have talked about outdoor landscapes and vehicles being supported later this year so there will be plenty of scope to make something special.

You can make outdoor areas now providing you keep an eye on the amount of map visible (polygon count) low. You can create something convincing using a good outdoor skybox and clever level design.

Lemur v2 supports some great multiplayer features such as team deathmatch so you can try making a few of your maps for online play aswell. I'm not sure if Lemur v2 is compatible with FPSC X10 though.

Anyway just purchase the engine and go from there. You've already mentioned you think it's great but you haven't benefited from the current updates which improve FPSC significantly from the original v1.

Quote: "will I be able to sell my game in the future to make money, without paying the makers anything?"

With FPSC X9 you can sell anything you create without paying TGC anything. If you sell a game developed with FPSC X10 you don't have to pay anything except if you sell via a 3rd party (publisher) or create a boxed product. In these instances you will require an extended commercial license for £424.68 / $999.00.
Pride
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 02:43 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 02:47
Well, only a few Model Packs are WW2 useful. Because most of them (going all the way up to MP17 and 18 and except MP8) are focused on a modern game.

-Sprite Pack 1 is a must for any game, don't care which game, any game
-Model Pack 1 contains modern entities for modern games. Though, a few segments are generic enough, so you could use those if you wish. The gib entities are a must, though.
-Model Pack 2 is another modern one, containing many useful modern things, such as dumpsters, pay-phones, sheds, signs, cameras, etc.
-Model Pack 3 is filled to the brim with industrial stuff, possible post WW2.
-Model Pack 4 contains modern entities and zombies! Though the medical entities could be WW2 surgeons and nurses, but not the Bikini Lady, if you want to be historically correct (women didn't strut around in their underwear when WW2 was going on)
-Model Pack 5 contains all very modern guns.
-Model Pack 6 contains all very modern guns, but are of much better quality.
-Model Pack 7 is a MUST! It enhances your segments and makes a game look much more less abstract/linear.
-Model Pack 8 looks Egyptian/Tomb-ish. I don't own it, so I cannot make a solid opinion.
-Model Pack 9 & 10 contain all very modern weapons but of VERY VERY good quality. Hard to match-up with MP6.

I do not own MP 11 and up so I cannot make solid opinions, so I know as much as you do about 'em. But MP17 & 18 look of good quality, so buy 'em anyways.

EDIT: Oh yes, I forgot to mention forget x9 and buy x10. It makes sure that you can have friendlies and enemies. Which is great for a good game. If you want to make a high-quality game, buy x10. Sadly, my father hates Vista and I have to stick with x9...

==MeZo

Hey mods, I liked my siggy!
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 03:02
In my opinion? Don't bother buying the model packs.

I'm not saying they're not good quality, or not worth the money, but for the application you want (WW2, commercial), it's not a good idea. Learn some basic level design skills with the stock WW2 media, it's good to start with, and it's all there with the program.

Then, download a free modeling program (such as anim8or, or blender), a free texture program (unless you have other programs already such as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro) such as The GIMP, and make your own media. Otherwise, in my opinion, your game will look like everybody else's. Originality and supreme quality gets a game published most of the time. Since FPSC is a bit behind in the second one, you certainly don't want it to look like you threw stock/model pack media together in a few minutes.

Paul
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 11:10
if you want to make quality fps games, then learn programming, and get an advanced engine. But fpsc is good for those without the time or money

Call me Alex. Please. OR at least let me change my forum name...
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 11:31
Quote: "I'm not sure if Lemur v2 is compatible with FPSC X10 though."

No, as Lemur is written in DB Pro X9, and FPSC X10 is written in the yet-to-be-released DB Pro X10......

Well, mate, I made a thread about this a while ago....

It's locked, but it has all the pro's and con's of this game creator there... http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=119916&b=21

Mansfield Billy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 12:47
Thanks for all the comments. Ill buy the engine, with no model packages and see what i can do, then if i like it more i might make a modern FPS with the pakages along with a WW2 one.

Again, thanks for the comments , its helped me greatly.
Mansfield Billy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 17:41
Sorry for double posting (other one is really old though) but before i buy FPSC i would like to ask just a few more questions:

1. Whenever I test the game on the demo, it lags quite alot sometimes, and my laptop is quite new and supports high quality games.

2. Is it really worth getting X9, i dont have vista, and X10 seems really good. If I get X9, do i have to pay again for X10?

Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 17:24:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 17:24:03