Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / I Need Help To The Final Step Of Creating My Own Character (Problem On Skinning)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello
I'm Creating a game which is about furries and stuff like that, which means that i need to create my own characters... i've just finished my "Antro Sonic" character and i aplyed the bones (downloadable on the fpsc site) and also the animation... (all using 3ds max) i used the "PandaDirectX Exporter" to export in X format...
After all the process, i imported it to fps creator and my character is working but with a big problem... Is appearance is just really weird, i can' explain it, that's why i attached the picture of what he looks like, just take a look...
i think that the problem is the skinning (when you aply skin to the model on 3ds max, so he can move with the bones...)
Yes, i searched before ask (that's why im almost finishing my character) But i think that i came to a point that no one answered this (or i just didnt found it) i even searched on the other foruns, not only on the fpsc forum and i just found answers to this like "it shouldn't be happening"... someone sayd that we should use (in 3ds max) the "physic modifier" instead of skin modifier but i tryed that and the result was exactely the same...
it must be a solution for this because the original game characters are vary well skinned, and cant just give up now! After so much work, i hope that someone expert on this read my post...^_^
so, please help me now, and thank's in advance
(and sorry if my english is to bad)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
FPSC Scripts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 04:24 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 04:25
I have the same problem and i did the same as you but my character spawns uglier...and i worked allot on this model, i realy hope someone can come and help us.

i'm the M king.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 05:47
First off - you have been a member long enough to know this should have been posted in the Models and Media Board.
Second - Most people that are experienced well in Max and actually own a legal copy don't answer max questions too often on these forums mainly because there are so many members here that have pirated copy of Max that they downloaded off some torrent site. And most of the pirated copies of Max are missing the tutorials section so the forum members usually come here to TGC forum and start asking Max questions which is a dead giveaway that they have a pirated copy. And most people are not going to pay $3995 for a program they have no clue how to use.
I’m in a good mood tonight so I will steer you in the right direction you have stray vertices that are not attached to a bone, this can be fixed using envelopes inside of the skin modifier, you can find more information about the Skin Modifier and Envelopes in your 3D Studio Max tutorials, it’s located under “Specialized/ Bones & IK/ Skinning” (Max 8) and under the Max user reference you can find information there also located under “Modifiers/ Object – Space modifiers/ Skin Modifier” (Max 8)
FPSC Scripts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 11:53
Wel to tell the truth i dont ow 3ds max myself cause its too expensive, but my bro's dad have it so i use it most of the times to build my model, but when i go to my bro's dad today ill look for the tutorials.
Thanks in advance.

i'm the M king.
DjSonicx
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, firts... Sorry about the wrong section... i tought that the models section was more dedicated to download/upload models and discuss about them... Next time i have a question about 3d i will post there. But i hown 3ds max! because i need it for my multimedia class! and i obviously have the tutorials, and i know how to use it... not 100% but almost. and the problem started when i imported my character to fpsc! that's why im hasking here what's happening!
DjSonicx
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks for the help, but i just comfirmed and all the vertices are attached to the bones... i made another version with a bigger envelope but its not working... any ideas?
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 13:34
Just a guess but are there some vertices which should be 'welded' together that you have missed.

Good luck.
DjSonicx
Years of Service
User Offline
welded? you mean that they must stay inside the envelope zone or im missing something?
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 14:40
Don't use The skin Modifier. Use physique!

Avid
Years of Service
User Offline
You need to make absolutely sure the model is completely 'tight'. It's easy to get duped vertices that you can't see. I suggest you select every vertex on the model, set the weld threshold to a lowish number (about 0.1-0.5), then weld. That should ensure all unconnected vertices are taken care of.

And yes, use physique. Also make sure to test the model in a full animation cycle. I've made a few models for Q3A before, and I was forever missing off verts.

However, the main reason is probably due to the fact that the DX exporter isn't recognising the envelopes.
You absolutely have to use physique!
Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 23:48
Ross tra damus and Avid are right, if your mesh has any holes were the verts are not welded that can have the same effect also, and I always use the physique modifier also not because there's anything rwrong with the skin modifer, I just feel more comfortable using it and I like the fetures it has compaired to skin better,and make sure your deleting the old .bin and .dbo that your defective model made everytime until you get a good one working, if you don't you will continue to see the old defective model even though you keep puting new ones in your enity folder.
DjSonicx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 00:11 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 00:13
yes, physique offer some nice features that the skin modifier cant... and yes, i allways delete de dbo and bin (the "fast load" files...) that's not a problem. i just used the physique modifier (again) and i selected all the vertices... (im just a bit confuse because im not english but i think that you are telling me that all the vertices must be selected by the envelope of each bone, isn't it?) anyway, thank you all for replying, i will try some more times, just to be sure that i follow everything correctly, but im still getting the same results, and its weird because my character are very well animated in 3ds max and all vertices are inside the envelopes, can this be a problem of something else? just curious, any of you already created your own character for fpsc? anyway, i will try some more thing's and tell you if it's done, or not...
Thanks for helping, and i hope that we can do it because i saw a few topics like this one unsolved...
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 01:36
They mean have select all the verts,in edit poly mode, and use the weld button.

DjSonicx
Years of Service
User Offline
He! I cant believe it's finally working! it's just working! i wasn't understanding the "weld" part. and it works with the physique modifier, but it also work with the skin modifier! (maybe im using a recent dx exporter...) i must say thank you all for helping me in this final stage, and since that im not the only one with problems in character exporting, let's just sumarise what must be done...

if you are using 3ds max to model a character, use the edit poly modifier, and select "vertex". after that, press the weld button and be sure that the weld treshold is a lower number (like 0.1) (to set this, press the button at the right of the weld button) now, the model is welded and you can just import the biped file (which is downloadable in the fpsc website) and aply it in your model (if you don't know how to import a biped file, just check the tutorials of 3ds max). Aply the physique modifier (i used the skin modifier too, and it worked, but it seems that he shouldn't work... you can try it at your hown risk) after defining the envelopes, export in X file format (to export X files you need the Panda Directx Exporter) and that's it, basicaly...

Once again, thank's everybody, and i will check this topic a few times just in case that someone need help here (or improvements or better ideas are posted)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 17:32:39
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 17:32:39