Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Scaling .X objects from 3ds max 7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 04:39
I want to use a single .X object for the world of each level of a simple FPS engine I'm currently working on. (the idea is modularity, as much as possible about the engine is customizable)

Using 3DS Max 7 (a little outdated, but it gets the job done) I've run into problems with more complicated primitives, like the stair tool. Within DarkGDK, one unit in an X model is equal to one meter. (or so I've been told, it seems a bit smaller to me) The tools for making stairs and such are designed to be used on a much larger scale, for areas about 100 units wide. (or so it seems by their behavior)

The question is simple, how can I numerically scale .X objects with DarkGDK?

My site, for various stuff that I make.
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark GDK has no fixed units but, If you use Dark Physics it does default to 1 unit = 1 meter.
100 units wide would be a massive area for a stairs unless you were talking a government building.

My advice is to use real world units based on 1 meter but use decimals to accurately describe things. For example a 6 foot tale man is approx 1.82 units or meters.

Codger

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
SunDawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 04:52
Max 7 is annoying with it's prefab-type tools. But I found if you're careful, you can precisely size anything, including prefabs, when you make it, as long as you don't click away. As for effective scaling, I spotted this thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124372&b=22 . That makes it feasible to scale large objects down to reasonable size through code.

My site, for various stuff that I make.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:31:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:31:27