Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / problem with add mesh and/or vertexdata commands

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 20:41 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 20:44
The following code is intended to create a mesh consisting of 20 randomly positioned plains by starting with a plain and adding 19 new plains to the mesh. Each component plain has zero size but that isn't the issue.

The statistic(1) command reports 38 polys whereas there should be 40.

The program then outputs the new mesh. If you check the X file, you'll see that all 120 vertices are in fact listed (= 6 x 20), but data are only given for 38 polys (the first two are missing when you check the vertices used). It is easy enough to manually edit the X file to add these two missing polys.

However, there is one other issue. If you check the MeshNormals data in the X file you'll see that again all 120 are listed. However, all except for the first 6 vertices are (Nx, Ny, Nz) = (0, 0, 1). The program doesn't change the normals data - they should just be copied from the mesh used for the initial plain.

I don't think it's the save mesh command causing these problems because the program reports only 38 polys when there should be 40 before the save mesh command is used.

Edit Forgot the code.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 13:42
You could have shortened the example :p, DBP seems to ignore the first mesh that you add using 'add mesh to vertexdata', if you set the loop with a range of 2 to 2(thus running once) it doesn't change the tri count to when you don't have it. What a strange bug.

/me adds new bug feather to hat, ahh there's a pheasant on my head!

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 21:02
Quote: "You could have shortened the example "

I certainly could. Sorry.

[I confess I was being lazy - I already had that example to hand. ]

As you say, it's a strange bug.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2010 01:10 Edited at: 1st Apr 2010 01:29
Has this been fixed?

[Stumbled across this when I checked to see if there was another report for a vertexdata bug that I'm about to report. Interestingly the one thing they both have in common is that I was using the lock vertexdata commands inside a function. Perhaps that's the problem . Edit Seems unlikely - the new "bug" turns out to be a user error. I'd still like to know the status of the old "bug" though.]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:41:10
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:41:10