Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What is this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, what is wrong with Dark GDK?

DarkBasic professional costs £40, yet the website makes DarkGDK out to be better - and it's free!

What disadvantages has it got hidden that I haven't become aware of? Why would anyone need DarkBasic when DarkGDK is free? I don't understand it.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 22:17
Nothing is wrong with DarkGDK

DB Pro has been around for a few years. Anything you make with it can be sold royalty free.

DarkGDK has been re-released under a new marketing strategy. It is available as a free download in conjunction with Microsoft and Visual Studio Express 2008. You can make freeware games and applications with it, but you must purchase a commercial license for anything else. Even then, it's damn good value for money!
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 22:53
Hmm, I was wondering, do you have to purchase the full VS aswell to sell your product?

Don't you just hate that Zotoaster guy?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 00:19 Edited at: 27th Feb 2008 00:19
did you read the part about having to know c++?

actually only until the dgdk.net is released, then youll need to know c# or VB.NET

[href]mod2software[/href]
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 16:08
[quote]Hmm, I was wondering, do you have to purchase the full VS aswell to sell your product?[center]

Yes, you have to own a commercial version of C++ 2008 if you want to use Microsoft's compiler to compile and sell your game. DarkGDK is a toolkit not a compiler. C++ 2008 is not owned by TGC but is the editor of choice for it. You have to abide by 2 license agreements, TGS's and MS's.

I don't know about the C++ express version but the C# express and VB.Net express do not compile for release. They only compile for Debug.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 18:49
Quote: "Yes, you have to own a commercial version of C++ 2008 if you want to use Microsoft's compiler to compile and sell your game."

Not really, you're free to use it Commercially. It's on MS's Express site FAQs.

Quote: "Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using Visual Studio Express Editions. "

More at: http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/default.aspx

Quote: "I don't know about the C++ express version but the C# express and VB.Net express do not compile for release. They only compile for Debug. "

AFAIK, they do compile code for release. The default settings have Trace constant and optmize code selected, so it's the same as VS Pro settings. It just doesn't allow multiple configurations as the Professional version, but you can change them in the Project's Properties.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:32:33
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:32:33