Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / MMORPG Stress Test for Multisync

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 23:37
I've just started a WIP thread for my game Worlds Apart.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124858&b=8

Right now the content shown will continue to live as the game progresses, but the main purpose of this initial release is to stree test some network libraries in order to pick one that's going to give the required performance.

If you would be so kind, I'm hoping we'll be able to pull together a bunch of people and start getting a bunch logged in to the server at the same time.

You can read more about it in the WIP post.

Thank you...

Don't think, just code.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 17:53
Well I've only had a few people download the client and test the game server. So being the impatient person that I am I trimmed out a lot of code from a copy of the client and made a zombie test application.

It basically logs in just like a regular client, and then simulates ship movements. I have them starting in random places and random distances from the sun, and then I run them through a planet orbit subroutine. So they just circle the sun in randomly placed orbits.

At the highest point that my workstation could handle I had 22 of these test apps running with no significant degredation in performance on the server. In fact, I don't think the server was really breaking much of a sweat. This was on a 100 Megabit LAN of course..

I left it running overnight, and at some point this morning all the test clients on my workstation locked up. Probably hitting the swap file for to long of a span of time. 16 of the apps running at the same time took up almost 4 gigs of memory, and I've only got 2 installed.

Next step is to try and get around 100 test apps pounding on the server and see what happens. First I've got to get a new video card in my production server. It has a crappy Intel onboard video card and wont even run the text only server app.

Don't think, just code.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 03:30:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 03:30:13