Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Question about Gui Programming in GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Guys,

I was wondering, has anyone be able to get GUI from windows to work with GDK in c++. I was looking at the gui smartwin. Its open source and has a BSD licence. Also it can be used for commerical projects without paying any fee's. thx.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 18:05
Here's what I think you'll find to be true... but I haven't tried to do my gui yet in DarkGDK:

1: DarkGDK Takes over the WinMain entry Point - so many tool kits
that like to be in the WinMain might not be easily manipulated to work in DarkGDK.

2: In windowed Mode (Not full Screen Exclusive) I hear reports of people saying they can use normal windows, forms, and controls.

3: In FULL SCREEN exclusive mode - you should be able to get the DirectX GUI working like you would normal window gui stuff - though you won't be able to have the control you MIGHT need to keep DarkGDK managed gfx "underneath" the DairectX GUI. The BlueGui product I BELIEVE uses this DirectX means of getting GUI Gadgets....

4: IT's Much Easier to do with the DarkGDK.Net product - you can make DarkGDK.Net render to a "Bitmap" control (I think) inside a Normal Windows C# managed Form. e.g. System.Forms.etc

5: For Full Screen Exclusive Mode (especially in DarkGDK which is the C++ version) - it Sucks - and you will probably need to write your own.

Guardian
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the quick response. Actually what I really need the gui for is to make calls to a windowed darkbasic form. So that instaed of having two exe's talking to one another. Everything can be done in one exe. The Game I'm designing is a 4x empire game. my hope was to have the gui handle all the nit and gritty stuff. While battles can be handled using Darkbasic commands and full screen combat. Any ideas?
Fusspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
im also curious as to how to go about this, I played around with the design thingy in visual c++ 2008 and made a toolbar some how, but the code made no sese what so ever and connecting it to DarkGDK was way beyond me.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial to walk me through the basics ?

Stuck in the land of the confused! and loving it!
Guardian
Years of Service
User Offline
The only way I think it can be done, is with two different forms. Where one form has the darkbasic gdk running and the other forms have controls, that pass along parameters to the gdk form. This is how I would do it in C# or vb. I'm sure its possiable doing it with c++ as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:29:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:29:27