Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPSC X9 Shaders (Depth of Field, Bloom, Heat Haze, Lava, Refract and Water)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2008 23:21 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2008 23:44
Some of you may have seen an article from Lee in this months newsletter entitled 'A big bag of shaders' in which he talks about a bunch of X9 shaders he put together in a demo to give people an idea what to expect in X10.

In light of the fact the depth of field shader didn't make it into X10 he's released all of the source files and media for that demo including the .fx shader files.

I've attached a download which includes the .fx shaders and media for Depth of Field, Bloom, Heat, Lava, Refract and Water. I'm hoping these might be usable straight off otherwise the mod teams might be able to implement them into EFX / Lemur v2 (hopefully).

The article and download which also includes new normal and specular mapped models for Aiko / Colonelx and a couple of skyboxes can be found here. I've only attached the shader related files.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_62.html

I think it would be awesome to get Depth of Field and Heat Haze into X9 via the new mods providing it didn't overload performance.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 01:26
Well I'll mess with these, and see what I can come up with.

8800 640mb GTS, 4gb RAM, 500gb HDD, Vista Home Premium, 3 Dual Panel Casing Fans
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 03:09
None of those would work without editing the source.

Did you attach the demo Lee attached in the newsletter?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 06:03
Yes, but you can download it from the newsletter as well.

It's a neat little eye candy demo, but definitally doesn't show you the best way to go about using such shaders.

If you're interested in using shaders, look up the Ultimate Shader Pack on these boards. They all come with DBP examples of how to use them effectively. It's also a great source of knowledge when learning about how shaders work.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2008 21:01
Yeah, the demo does look pretty tasty.

What do you mean, it isn't the best way?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 10:04
Ohhhhh, I dunno.

How about the fact that nothing is modularized and is all "in-line" code?

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad Soul, how do you install the FPSC X9 Shaders? what folder do i place this file in. thanks in advance. I hope that you have a Great day.

Cheers,
Tanya.
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 16:40
they wont work with fpsc tanya

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
why not Aaagreen?

Cheers,
Tanya.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2008 22:12 Edited at: 4th Mar 2008 22:14
Thanks All

I tend to get a bit over excited at the prospect of good shaders becoming available in the FPSC engine, especially after what the modders have been able to do with bloom, water and relief shaders recently.

Perhaps I'm being naive but if Lee can write a directx 9 demo which shows off such shaders, why wouldn't he be able to get the code working inside FPSC X9. Especially if their both written in Dark Basic Pro.

It's like with how Depth of Field was demonstrated in the FPSC X10 engine and then dropped for the actual release all of a sudden.

I guess I'm still a bit sour the modders have got some great effects into X9 and we haven't been given any shader updates from TGC themselves.

If we can't even have all these things in FPSC X10 I fear it will be down to the modders to do something about it. I don't buy TGC's argument saying they can't do it because of performance issues.

Anyway rant over and sorry Tanya if this turns out not to be possible. I have my hopes up on this too.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 00:57
It could very well be a performance issue that TGC ran into. They may have wanted to make everything look TOO good and so sacrificed performance.

Also, remember that Lee has a lot on his plate. (More than he can probably eat in one sitting, I'd wager)

Putting these things into FPSC X9 takes a while (believe me ) and if Lee were to sit down and do that, then he would need to cease all updates going into both X9 and X10 in order to achieve it. If he did that, then you can say goodbye to any more work on performance issues. And, personally, i think that should take the cake in what NEEDS to be done for X9 right now.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 01:40
Depth-of-field was dropped because of transparency issues as mentioned in the newsletter.

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 14:20
Quote: "why not Aaagreen?"

because this thread contains shaders which Nomad Soul wants to be available for fpsc. This whole thread is about adding these shaders to one of the new mods (v.108/efx/lemur), but nothing has been decided. They're not fpsc ready yet

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Jahan Zaib
Years of Service
User Offline
how i use these shaders in FPSC X9 i am new please help thanks in ADV

Tony

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 17:29:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 17:29:52