Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / fatal error C1083 : First time using GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
this is probably are really 'noob' question but anyway:

The above program should open an empty black screen but it comes up with error message:

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory

Its the first time ive used this but i've installed the august 2007 sdk, visual studio and the Dark GDK so i dont see what's going wrong.

So , if you know what's happening, please let me know!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 19:33

Notice how I chages the QUOTES to Greaterthan and lessthan? Because DARKGDK is installed in the compiler's configured search path, you don't want to use double Quotes.

To Include YOU OWN include files, that are not in the Compilers search path, use the quotes.

Check out http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

P.S. Welcome to the Forums.

guest11
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Thanks for the reply (and the link) but when i changed the quotes to greater than or less than I got the same error message.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 22:31
Ok... well the Error Message is looking for the windows.h file.

#include <windows.h>

BUT the code you have shouldn't need that include. SOMETHING is hosed. Are you ... hmm... Look in the configuration you got and make sure your:

c:/program files/thegamecreators/darkgdk/include/ directory or whatever it is is "KNOWN" by your VS2008 compiler. somewhere there is a way to make the compiler ALWAYS look there for include files. You can also manipulate individual projects in the project's property pages, in C++->General I think there is an include path spot you might be foreced to put there but finding the global "spot" is better so each new project you don't need to define like this.

also the other DIR you need is c:/programs files/thegamecreators/darkgdk/lib or something thereabouts.

You will likely want to search this forum a bit more because there was a guy who posted a linker error helper how to kinda thread that exaplined the configuration really good and various linker errors etc. I personally google with "DarkGDK blah blah" where blah blah is my key word search or whatever...usually I find what I need. I know for fact this stuff has been asked before.

guest11
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried quite a bit of stuff to get the error message fixed, but it stil didn't work.
So, i uninstalled everything and then reinstalled it.
This time, when it was meant to empty black screen, it did!
But when i changed the code to make it display an image it still came up with the empty black screen
The code displayed is exactly how it's meant to be:
// Dark GDK - The Game Creators - www.thegamecreators.com

// the wizard has created a very simple project that uses Dark GDK
// it contains the basic code for a GDK application

// whenever using Dark GDK you must ensure you include the header file
#include "DarkGDK.h"
void DarkGDK ( void )
{
dbSyncOn ( );
dbSyncRate ( 60 );
dbLoadImage ( "animatedsprite.png", 1 );
dbSprite ( 1, 0, 0, 1 );
while ( LoopGDK ( ) )
{
dbSync ( );
}
return;
}

but when i ran the program it came up with the same empty black screen!
Thanks in advanced.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:25:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:25:50