Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / position objects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
sory if this might be a dumb question...

alright, well my problem is that i finally got to load the objects i wanted (thanks to jason p sage), but...... i have trouble positioning, does everyone do trial and error to get there objects where they want, or is there an easier way, because i have done about a bizzilion(9) trys and i cant seem to get it right, please help
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 05:07
Glad I could help! ... Ok... you current thingy...Cheap trick One!

Display on the screen the X,Y,Z and XA,YA,ZA (angles) of ONE Object you load.

Make some way to move it, rotate it, and "reset the rotation to 0,0,0" via keyboard input. Move the Object Where you want this way... Write down the coords and angles once ya got it!

Once you figure that out... think of how cool it would be if you could move any of your objects like this? Then seek out and study UDT (User Defined Types), and Arrays.... DarkGDK? Either download my wrapper, or someone elses, (see OOP GDK thread) and/or study what the C++ STDLIB is... it has arrays and something called double linked lists. also note you might having linking problems trying to get a sample to work with GDK - search for the link fix in this forum... somepeople figured it out already (I wrote my own and am quite happy)

Easier Route? Well.. There isn't a perfect route but in the DBPRO community this cool guy named Sid Sinister is adding a "Object Placer" to a terrain editor VanB Made (Another cool guy) called TerSculpt... it's in the Newletter for the Feb2008 issue I think... in the bottom of the newletter, there is a link to the thread - the terrain part is done now... and is opensource ... so have a look. When Sid Sinisiter gets done - in theory you should have about what you're looking for. Defiantely good enough to play with and try seeing if you can work in that and then get DarkGDK to load the terrain and the objects (and put them where they were in the editor) to get some decent results.

some people write their own obviously, and there are some 3rd party payfor terrain editors that have object placing... some require you to write some sort of loader yourself... but are very cool... one I like which is touted more a level editor then just a terrain thingy is 3DWS (3D world Studio) and Pixel Perfect (Another cool dude) has almost completed a project with it... a DarkGDK loader that looks better than the default "Export for DarkGDK/DarkBasic" and is from all account pretty darn WYSIWYG.

There was/is anothe rproject (that I think will be a for $$ project) from a guy named Alquerian (another cool dude) who had a pretty breath taking terrain editor of his own and had auto tree placement amound other niceties.

But - working with loading propriatary files may be a bit much for ya now...maybe not... so there is no 100% easy way.. but... there is the challenge I suppose... Make Something from nothing and be Proud! (No Shame in using premade editors in case I implied differently)

ZbfZ
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, thank you very much, helped a lot

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:20:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:20:18