Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Johnny Lee - Desktop VR in Dark GDK, possible?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,

I've been slowly putting together some code snippets to give desktop vr to users of Dark GDK, what I would really like to do is be able to work with my webcam in Dark GDK and Visual C++ 9.0 Express Edition.

Would it be better to use existing software developed for multi-touch applications or to start from scratch with very efficient code?

I have used the multi-touch software, and boy is it heavy on a basic system, Johnny Lee uses a Wii Remote with a Visual C# program, and it works great. But we're in C++, and I'm just starting to scratch the surface of the complexities C#, suggestions are very welcome.

The camera commands inside Dark GDK are so powerful, it would be so easy to have desktop vr using the technique of Johnny Lee, and in turn take any 3d game development to brand new level.

Could we possibly get a group of people together to make this happen?

why doesn't it work the way I want it to!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 04:54
C++ is Faster than C#.

Multi-Touch Application? Sounds X-Rated.

Talking to External Interfaces from C++ means you can usually get devices with native GDK commands IF they are recognized by DirectX. If Not, you still should be able to interface with the device either through windows API or perhaps an SDK (Software Dev Ket.... with API's (application programming interfaces) that may be available from the manufacturer.

VR Possible? Shoot... If I could make VR on a 486 programming the SVGA card directly, and using this... forgot name now... head set thingy with dual (eye) displays and head motion... IOVision Maybe it was call? VRVision? Anyway... You should be able to do it with DarkGDK.

Group Of People? Maybe. Not me - busy with Iron Infantry... Haven't heard to many VR affectionados here... but at the same time, devices that work with DirectX USUALLY are pretty emersive without extra coding.... just lock and load... For instance those 3d glasses. Load a driver, kick on a directX game... WOW. So...

Hope this helps ya a little ... at least gets ya googling and stuff Good Luck with your project and Welcome!

skull driveshaft
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Jason.

A little vague, but we'll see what I can come up with.

Take a look at this when you get the chance:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

The concept is awesome, without pricey hardware involved.

Multi-Touch = http://www.instructables.com/id/Interactive-Multitouch-Display/

I had to truncate the title of the message - I should have called it HEAD TRACKING WITH WEBCAM IN GDK?!?!?!

Hopefully this will fire up the thread.

So, wearing IR Leds on frames with a webcam translating your head movement to movement of the camera.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 06:33
Wow - that's neat, when I was working for ESPN news as a Consultant Computer Programmer, there was a guy there who did that same basic concept with a pool table and the colors of the balls so the camera could track the ball movements and draw chalk looking lines that followed the balls movement for a pool tournament on TV.

Same Principles.... Except LED's - same color! Pool Balls a little more of a pain... but at least the FELT is one color versus how a web cam would likely be.

skull driveshaft
Years of Service
User Offline
Now imagine standing/sitting in front of a cam with a headset on that lets you pan without touching anything on the keyboard or moving the mouse

Crosshair locked on target, you can look around a little to see if there's anyone/anything nearby that might notice said target being retired.

Just the ability to naturally duck and weave would be a cool effect by itself

I'm trying to find out how to read values output to a cmd.exe window, I've decided to investigate using other applications that are being used for multi-touch

skull driveshaft
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm going to try and use TUIO_CPP from here:

http://reactable.iua.upf.edu/?software

It works right now, with touchlib, from here:

http://nuigroup.com/touchlib/downloads/

So I launch up the TUIO Demo (TUIO_CPP) which listens for data about what the cam is seeing from VISION (touchlib).

Now I have light/blob tracking - it gives me a on-screen co-ordinate.

I will post a code snippet with a texture on a plane that is moved by using a light.

From there I'll have to wrap my head around co-ordinate calculations so that I can use two points of light.

This will allow me to angle the camera, like looking at a large photo, through a small frame, as Johnny Lee demonstrates in his video.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:32