Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Header files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 10:25
Hi All

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but because my problem is related to Dark GDK I assumed here would be most appropriate.

I recently downloaded Visual C++ with Dark GDK, and I was looking at the Dark Invaders example. I understood most of it, except the concept of header files (.h). Could someone explain what headers are used for, and how to use them? I searched the web a bit but couldn't find anything completely relevant.

I am quite new to C++/OOP so I'm still grasping the basics, but I'm determined to get to know it. I have had quite a bit of Dark Basic experience though, so I thought using Dark GDK would be a great way to introduce me to game making in C++.

Thanks in advance!

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2GB DDR2 RAM Radeon X1600 Series Realtek Sound System

Persist and you will succeed.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 12:40
This page seems to explain the concept well enough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Header_file.

z_man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 04:06
Thanks, I get the idea of headers a little better now.

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 2GB DDR2 RAM Radeon X1600 Series Realtek Sound System

Persist and you will succeed.
Beeny95
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 09:53
How do you get a picture to move with arrow key. Please help someone

I'm 12 And Game Programming
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 13:57
Ok Beeny95. we're glad your diving in - but you are jumping into a big deal... so some basics so you get the most out of the forums:

1: Dark Basic Professional and Dark Basic are similiar to DarkGDK in that the "commands" are nearly identical.

2: Dark Basic Pro and Dark Basic have been around longer than DarkGDK - so you will find more tutorials about "Sprites", using the keyboard etc by examining those tutorials and code snippets in the code base

3: Try to do some searching before you post, try posting source code that shows what you've done and explain where you're having a problem. Try to post no more than a page of source code because people (including me) if they see to much code followed by "Can you fix it?" usually just pass you by. Why? We want to help but not spend a half helping you on one issue.

4: DarkGDK help files aren't always that great... if you can't find something you're looking for you saw in DarkBasic Pro... like a command is missing - try typingit like dbTheCommandHere( in the editor to see if its recognized. If its not... try searching through the header files that come with darkgdk to see if its there. Lastly, try to search the forums for the commands... of course in this thread but use google - as you might find some source code

For your current porblem - start looking up the following keywords:

dbKeyState,Scancodes, Sprite, dbLoadImage, dbSprite ..that might help ya

Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 18:53
And not to forget..... it the thread you want to write in is not about what you are going to write about, then start a new tread

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:24:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:24:44