Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK.NET Infos

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 14:10
Hi all, I'm going to buy DarkGDK.NET but I would like to know how much slower is DarkGDK.NET from DarkGDK and if there are any other issues that I should take in account developing with it. I know there is some overhead using O.O.P. but is this overhead too bigger to make complex games?

Thanks to all
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 16:43
Yoda - I think many things are easier in .Net and can help speed up development for you and that overhead is not near enough to prevent you from making a quality game.

Guys like me and a couple other C++ gear heads mention that because we are really trying to push the envelope and ANY OVERHEAD is bad to us - even our own code we like to go...hmm... I Should rewrite that so its faster...etc.

DarkGDK.Net you can try for free when they release it... you pay for commercial license... If you buy it now before its released I think the commercial cost will be less.. but double check that.

Alot of guy on here are devout C#'er's and they do some neat things with it. Also, APEXNow, the developer of the C# version is VERY knowledgable and is bound to do a great job.

So if I were you... I would not discount it even a little bit due to overhead. Many programmers don't even come close to hitting overhead cielings based on the language (Not true in DBPRo) and its usually their own code or "engine design" that bites them the hardest.

there is a lot to say for ease of use. C# gives the best of both worlds - power - speed - reall oop - rapid development.

I personally like C++ - but I'm a gear head... they are BOTH EXCELLENT.

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 21:22
One of these days I'm going to set my sights on one and only one programming platform. I initially started studying C# because of XNA's integratio with it. But the learning slope on it is a bit steep and I haven't found a base level tutorial or book on the subject that I've had time to read. ITMT, Dark GDK came along and allowed me to use the language with which I was most comfortable. It also pulled me away from such other APIs as SFML and SDL.

I'll probably have a look at Dark .NET but hopefully I won't have too much to have to re-write and keep my fingers crossed that garbage collection won't kill my smooth motion.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 00:31
As far as I know, DGDK.NET is not available to be bought right now, the $60 and $200 price were removed as soon as DGDK was released for free...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 02:11
Bummer if you didn't buy it then already.. however its still worth the FREE PRICE to "play with" and anti'ing up when your ready to sell a game. Alot of fun in the interim.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 02:24
.NET version should be out soon, I think the docs are being finished up

[href]mod2software[/href]
Yoda Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 11:29
DarkGDK.NET is going to be free for download? (FREE license, of course) That's great!! But does anyone know how much we have to wait for it? 1, 2 month or greater?

I'm not using C# because I don't like its syntax very much...so I'm using VB instead with Visual Studio 2008 . I know that many people hate VB or think to it as a toy language but does its IL equal to C# IL, doesn't it? (I know that C# uses a lots of pointers that speed up the code in some cases but I think that pointers are bugs' bringer)

PS: I'm from Italy so forgive my little understanding ok?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 13:38
Quote: "I'm not using C# because I don't like its syntax very much...so I'm using VB instead with Visual Studio 2008 . I know that many people hate VB or think to it as a toy language but does its IL equal to C# IL, doesn't it?"
-Yoda Master

Look buudy, using VB, C#, even COBOL is FINE! There are some people who are rather obnoxious about these things. I'd relax and enjoy what ya know.

First, C# is closer to C++ but is not C++. Maybe someday you dig in, maybe not.

The important thing is that the language does what you want and you understand it. I mean - nothing is worse (and I've done it plenty) staring at code that you want to get something done but you are slowed by not getting it or worse - you only get half of it... where if you know the language well.... like you know VB - then EVERYTHING is faster: Finding Bugs, Writing new Code, changing existing code etc.

So - Enjoy Visual Basic - I have for almost 10 years... 1 of which was actually a product call Microsoft's Professional Development System..... Which was before they put the "Visual" in their basic! Was actually a great compiler...anyways have fun!)

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 15:40
and lets remember, VB.NET aint vb6. the wide gaps and disparities that once existed between vb and c-based languages are gone for good.

[href]mod2software[/href]
Yoda Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 16:37
Well...Thanks all for the answers!!

One last thing remain...Approximately, how much time we have to wait for DarkGDK.NET release? It's important for me to know

Thanks

Fear leads to anger
Anger leads to hate
Hate leads to suffering
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 18:32
And... how long time after release of GDK.NET will DarkAI and DarkPhysics.NET be released?

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 09:08
Quote: "First, C# is closer to C++ but is not C++."

Its more like java, like really close to java.

So, I cant wait for GDK.NET to come out though, I wanna play with it, calling sounds in C# is to hard haha.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
irplay
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm wait for VB.net&C#
now I used DarkGDK with c++..

I'm like game.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 17:43
Does anybody who is currently using GDK.NET know if the undocumented CSG functionality is present?

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 20:23
If you mean those "PeformCSG<Something>", yes, they are
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 21:42
Excellent, thanks kBessa.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Yoda Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 09:50
Few more questions to ask.....

Is DarkGDK.NET a COM library? If so, why? Does the Interop Assembly spend a little overhead to negotiate between my app and the library, doesn't it?

And what if I buy the current version of DarkGDK.NET and a new version will be released? Have I to pay again to get the upgrade?

Thanks to all

Fear leads to anger
Anger leads to hate
Hate leads to suffering

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:19:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:19:38