Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Server/Client with????

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 21:42
Im kinda new at c++

Im trying to do MMORPG after a long way i found DarkGDK...

I trying to learn how make teh server and client and how connect to DataBase so...plz give me hand...

WinSock is the best for this???
MySQL is the best for this???

There is any samples..???

and any other tip.??

i was just reading about the BPD but i dunt got what it does...

Rlly Thx for all!!!

Im noob now but u ll c my work...soon

Gods....! bah im better
Fusspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Im noob now but u ll c my work...soon"

New to DarkGdk ?

Best bet, Build a single player offline client version and get your concept down first.

Screw anything MMO untill youve atleast got a prototype, Even making a
multiplayer Pong Demo to give you an idea first or something,

But just stay away from mmo till youve had more practice.

Stuck in the land of the confused! and loving it!
Karbonize
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 23:03
Well yeah...

Thats y im here.. to do small programas and learn about Connection im not rushing to the main proyect but...i was trying to ask for the correct tools to make it...

and i know is long way to make MMO...

Im just looking for info...

so...any idea that what i type of connection i can use???

Gods....! bah im better
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 00:39
For connection to the server you just need an IP adress and port. Then you can sent request to server and back.

With database will I recommend that you are using RAM as your primary database and then using the databasen (mysql, mssql) for "backup".

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
Fusspawn
Years of Service
User Offline
Depends on what Language you intend to code the server in i guess,

Im still toying with the idea of a php backend and a mysql database. using HTTP Post request's Via the client as a connection method.

Might not be the fastest in the world but im sure it could produce intresting results for very small scale mmo's Also makes the entire backend totally portable ( Theres php And MySql Versions for all the major OS's )

And making diffrent client requires no extra backend work ie if ive got a DarkGDK windows based client and a Linux webserver backend, And i want a linux client.

all that would be needed is to recode the client, The server software would never Require changing,

Now try running a DarkGDK app via Linux ( Wine Hates it before thats mentioned. Ive Tried ) Mac Ports would also just be client side.

Also gives the ability to poll the database via a webbased app

( Wow Armoury Style - For those that have never played wow. The website has an "Armoury" section allowing the display of the characters gear exctra exctra. )

Adding that to the server would be a breeze .

Its just a theory im working with and have no code at all to prove it could work, But it's an idea none the less.

Stuck in the land of the confused! and loving it!
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 11:56
I will not run php or any weblanguage on the server. It should be a real application.

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 04:57
I Agree. I'd maybe use PHP for the web site, the forums, the navigation, even the Parts where you are getting set up for the game (e.g. mysql prep etc)... But the Actual In Game Handling should be something where only #'s and strings from the database maybe are getting tossed directly to/from the clients running DBPro/DarkGDK or whatever.

Neils is saying the same thing more or less - that the part that the GAME is actually doing something with a bunch of players should PROBABLY be a little lower level. Just so people (say many) are pretty close to where they should be in relation to each for instance.

You don't want to Swing a Swoard at a phantom... Or try to sweet talk a girl that already left the room etc LOL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:02