Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / DarkBASIC for Linux

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 07:10
Is there a DarkBASIC for Linux
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 11:04
no but you can possibly use winex for linux.

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net/ r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: 1.2ghz athlon, 384mb ram, geforce 2 mx 400 (32mb),win2k
joseph
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 17:36
man,what would I give for DB running under Linux. The problem is that DB doesn't support openGL
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 17:53
I not really have entresting on Linux ( I am glad with my XP ). But it's said that Linux can run some DirectX programs, doesn't it? So DB should run ( I guess, I really don't like Linux to try DB on it ) with some modifications...
well, it's better u ignore my message....I dunno what I am saying for sure

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-Rogue
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 00:36
joseph:
is the problem that DB doesn't support openGL or that linux doesn't support DirectX.

DirectX continues to power forward at a rate that surpasses OpenGL, one of the design ideas behind DBS's decision to write agains the DirectX libraries, I'm sure.

Wine doesn't support enough of DirectX to lay claim that they *support* it. There are a couple of games that have been coaxed and codded into running, but I haven't heard of any that can play all sounds/music, run the FMV cutscenes, keep up framerates, etc. This complicates further when core Win32 GDI functions are used.

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
Yarbles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 00:42
You mean people play games under Linux?!??

If so, why?!?!???

The Yellow Jester does not play but gently pulls the strings
And smiles as the puppets dance in the court of the Crimson King.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 01:05
Linux is a far more stable, far quicker and generally happier operating system to work on.
Used mostly for Servers for internet stuff suchas Quake3, Half-Life, Earth&Beyond games
The problem is it doesn't have the Windows C++ libraries built in, which means that anything you develop for it must be in C peferablly in Assembaly for extra speed.

As noted there is Winex - however i wouldn't recommend it unless you have no choice.

I think the point that the DBS team have made about DirectX vs OpenGL other than the obvious fact that Lee prefer its ... is that OpenGL is a graphics API language, whereas DirectX is a full API package
If OpenGL was to be used, other libraries for sound, music, video would have to be used - meaning licences, and also the inherient "compatability" errors!

DirectX believe it or not is far more stable, more powerful if you can program it and has more features less dependant on the actual SDK
Its also much more logical than OpenGL IMHO - but then again i am the DirectX coder at FMTau, Mofux & KD are the OpenGL guys hehee.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 01:40
Ah... mofux... another name to add to my list of oldbies who deserve to be in a game...
Anyway, for a simple answer to the original, NO!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 01:41
*Anyway, for a simple answer to the original Question, NO!*

NEED THE EDIT POST FEATURE!!!

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2002 15:49
Damn... I was thinking of geting Linux. Well it shouldn't be an issue if I set up a dual-boot system...

--Mouse
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2002 00:33
Could always get BeOS, that supports DB
pretty nice OS as well - if it had come in 5years before to rival 95 i reckon it'd be like the Intel/AMD war

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:27:56
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:27:56