Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / ideas for dll makers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2008 19:57
hey,

as a mod maker I understand most of the external parts of a game engine e.g. the classic .def file. And not being that good at c++ I hadn't managed to complete a dll that I was hoping to create. So thats why I'm telling you the idea behind it. The basic idea is to create a set of commands to read external files and process the commands so you don't have to write every thing out in the game engine. e.g the game engine you wrote in dark basic reads a .def file and takes the information from that, instead of writing out all the def files in darkbasic and muddeling up the scource code.

Not being able to have these commands is what stopped me from completing the game I tried to make ages ago because things like creature ai and basic game principles like moving a camera around were being mashed together.
MoomanFL
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds like you are talking about scripting rather than compiling.

This can already be done with the LUA plugin.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=74095&b=5

Design documents?!? What design documents??? I thought we were just going to wing it!!!
mavrik65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 17:44
I that's the thing scripting is used to make in game cinematics and and events that happen in the level also unity is written in lua.

my idea was mainly for the external files that govern things like monsters, friends, fx, ai. The external files used would be written in dark basic so its easier to use.
MoomanFL
Years of Service
User Offline
As I said.... you can do that already with LUA. I think in this case you are making assumptions about what the limits of LUA are. Lua can be used to to as much (or as little) as you want in your game. Including running AI, etc. As a matter of fact, commercial games already use LUA this way.

If you look around the forums there are threads that discuss this in depth, including one where someone set up LUA to be able to call any DBP command from the LUA script.

That sounds like a little more than just a "cinematics" scripting language to me.

Design documents?!? What design documents??? I thought we were just going to wing it!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-18 07:48:08
Your offset time is: 2024-10-18 07:48:08