Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Critique my cup

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi just wondering if all you artists out there would critique my cup for me? I took a picture of my drawing and it might be kind of hard to see so I've also attatched a picture of it with inverted colors. Also does anyone know of any good drawing forums or resoures on the internet. How's my cross hatching? Any tips? Thanks.

Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I know GREAT forums for artists.

If your into pixel art, which it doesn't seem like it, go to http://pixelation.swoo.net..

Or, if you want a good message board for pencil artists and etc, then go to http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4 (Its a FORUM on a BOARD, but its popular anyways I believe..I never go there though)

BTW, nice cup

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks

andrew32
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 08:18 Edited at: 1st Jul 2003 08:19
heres a sketch i did myself...

http://xenla.tripod.com/2D_Art/ThousandSons.jpg

EDIT: copy and paste the link of course [b])

Vandetta
Years of Service
User Offline
WOW! That is very good. How did you do it? What kind of shading did you use?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 16:22
Pretty good technique and proportion - however I don't see drawing mugs as good for practice, there's just not enough detail there to experiment with. The huge shaded areas make them a pain, that's why you hardly ever see a plain vase in a painting, it's much more fun to stick a fancy pattern on it.

Why not try something more complex, like a camera for example, or a toy. Experiment on a spare piece of paper, like draw little bits and decide on how to shade the parts before drawing them on the original. You could also photocopy the unshaded sketch and practice on it.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
Megaman X Gold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 23:32
andrew32, great shading, but you can tell it's just a sketch and not a finished copy. I'd love to see a more detail sketch, shaded or not.

Vandetta, I've always prefered the anime style of drawing. I can draw any relatively simple 3D object, many sort-of complex 3D object, and I can make up and draw Star Trek style starships pretty good too. lol.

Well, cya.

Life is more like a box of Grenades. Throw the pin instead of the grenade, and it blows up in your face...along with the rest still beside you.
Nilrem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 20:49
Andrew32 are you Andrew11?

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Disco Stu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 05:08
Hey! What the hell? Andrew 32 ripped my page off! BAH!
.........He linked my webpage I have a feeling I know who Andrew 32 is, if I'm right then he's in for some hella-pain once school starts again!

And to answer Vandetta, its just a sketch I did ages ago, then I scanned, went to Photoshop (you could easily do it in Paint Shop Pro) and started adding colours basic colours. Every colour had its own layer since they'd all be flattened into one in the end and it helps to let you work on one colour at a time. Then I used the smudge, dodge, burn, blur and sharpen tools to get the right effect.

Very simple see?
Sina.

"Maybe if you ain't so good, I ain't so bad."--Tony Manero to Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney)
LuciferX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 09:08
:-s OK, you asked for it: Critique the cup?!

YOUR CUP SUCKS! :-s

CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 22:15
Lucifer X,

don't just be an blowhole. If you are going to critique negatively at least give a reason for such

"I need gopher-chucks!!"
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 22:33
Yeah LuciferX, it's a great cup drawing (at least I think), it's just that you can't really get much more detail from a cup. He should try something a bit more complex.

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2003 23:00
No, I'm andrew11; the real andrew ...

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
LuciferX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2003 03:03
well, ok the part to the inside top of the handle was top-notch.
(the part where your index finger rests)

but there needed to be a deeper type of shading on the inner cup part.
(the part where the coffee goes)

try drawing in a fatter pen and then shrinking the image slightly, this will make it look more detailed.
(must scan at hi-res first, then shrink, then change to the resolution you want)

The negative one looked cooler, that one was not there last time i posted, could be my crappy internet tho.

but this is all constructive critism, being the devil, i am, of course, better at the other kind.

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda
CrayZemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2003 07:36
quote: "but this is all constructive critism, being the devil, i am, of course, better at the other "

Hmm, would that explain Lucifer being part of your screan name?

"I need gopher-chucks!!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:28:21
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:28:21