Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Beach Pong! Demo this week!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 15:41
Since i've 10 weeks off for summer i decided to make a small game to reflect the issue of summer. I've been making DB games since '99 and never really finished any - gets too complicated. I have a habit of starting development on games like RPG's - too demanding and i never started with the basics, such as a game of Pong. Though i decided to be 'Born again' and make a pong game - in 3d - with the theme of summer. Demo is out this week. Check out the screenshots - took me a week to produce. The concept is simple - play the game like pong and shoval sand at your oponenet to hinder their concentration - both for a 2-player game and AI.

I will make 4 themes for the finished game. The seasons. The summer season part is being released as a beta project. If i get gud feedback then i will just finsish off the games with 4 seasons.

beginning:

"Waltzing to scum and base"
Kanzure
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 15:43 Edited at: 30th Jun 2003 15:46
The image shows, "Image hosted by Tripod". Get another host!

Anyways, after pasting the image URL into my browser, I see it. It looks okay, but the graphics seem a bit "fidgety" and not too stable. Maybe try bigger objects so its smoother. (Only the first screen shot.)

Good luck. I don't think we've had a good pong game in a while now

~Morph
Owner of MultiCode.NET and Multi2k.NET.
Nothing is something, and something is then nothing. Life is an illusion.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2003 17:40
looks quite nice! Keep going!

You didn’t kick them, you just pushed them with your foot at a very high velocity!
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 12:51
The reason they look fidgety is becuase the camera is quickly zooming up from the boat to the main arena (in the sky). It is part of a small intro - it's only the crappy boat with DBC. I need to post the actual game-shot up - i'l change server now - any suggestions?
Also, finished game and redid some graphics. Did title screen and intro. Demo should be out later today or tommorrow. Just sorting out final collision problems. Any1 nkow how tomake this colliion bounce the ball back into the arena?

----------------------------------------------------definition
object 21 is ball
ix = object position x(21)
iz = object position z(21)
lwx# = object position of wall x
lwz# = object postion of wall z

I have 2 plains either side of the beach and want the ball to bounce back into the arena. Any tips?

2 new screenies;

title screen:
http://codeware0.tripod.com/3.JPG

In-game shot:
http://codeware0.tripod.com/4.JPG

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 13:05
OK! Try THESE links...paste them into ur browser (its the only bloody way)

http://codeware0.tripod.com/3.JPG

http://codeware0.tripod.com/4.JPG

Tell me what u think. [b])

Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2003 18:35
Graphics look very nice. I like the sea, realistic .

cuRant PRogekt: a three-de map editer
Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!
Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 03:25
If the walls are parallel to all but one axis then you just have to negate the ball's velocity along the other axis. If the wall is parallel to the Y and Z axes(i.e. perpendicular to x axis) then it would be something like
xvelocity=-1*xvelocity
If wall is not parallel to 2 axes then it gets complicated and you have to use sin and cos.

If you can't beat him, use a stick;
If you still can't beat him, use a brick;
If you still can't beat him, don't call him a prick!
Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 03:27
From the looks of your screenshots it is only 2D and should just be simply negating velocities.

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 12:10
it's NOT 2d, the spades, ball matrix and PLAINS are all 3D. It's just the distance of the camera thatt makes it look 2d. You'll see it when i've finished. Speaking of finihed, i have finished it .
I spent all day yesterday on it and nearly perfected it. Cheers for the collision advice - i worked it out bu the ball tends to stick longer to the wall, thus reversing itself but this is only a minor glitch. See the post below to download the demo!

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 12:55
By the way, the series title is called Theme Pong, with the theme of summer. So it's called Theme Pong: Summer. Good name, eh?

NEway - download beta release V2.3 here (phew!)-

[href]http://codeware0.tripod.com/Theme Pong_v2_3_Beta.zip[/href]

or, if that fails (probably) then copy this link into your browser address bar:

http://codeware0.tripod.com/Theme Pong_v2_3_Beta.zip

Tell me what you think!

File is 3.67mb (smallest i could get it [b]) )

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 13:06
RIGHT THIS LINK WILL WORK;

http://codeware0.tripod.com/Theme_Pong_v2_3_Beta.zip

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 13:09
RIGHT-CLICK and SAVE TARGET-AS to download

Algae Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2003 23:00
Some Advice:

The original image shows "Image hosted by Tripod", and It won't let me see it even if I paste the url into my browser. Also, your link to the game does not work. I suggest you should do what I did for my file hosting. Since Geocities does not allow direct linking to their files, make a simple page on Geocities that links to your file. Otherwise, people can't download your file, and I'm looking forward to doing so.

Back to the image problem: I recomend getting another hosting service for your files. "VillagePhotos.com" is what I use. They allow remote linking to their files.

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 02:04
Geocities does not allow zip files or exe files so for hosting it is practically useless. Tripod kicked me off after a few weeks of folk downloading from it by pasting the URL into their browser. It seems if you want half-decent hosting you have to pay for it, which is really annoying. opticalrecess, I realise it is 3D graphics, what I meant was, it looks like the ball only really moves in 2 dimensions (though I may be wrong). Anyhoo, if you are using the Basic 3D commands and using the in-built collision detection with DB then that might be the problem with the ball sticking to the wall, there are a lot of inconsistencies in the collision detection. Currently downloading (at 2.3KB/sec so it'll take a while). Hope it's good...

Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 02:22
Nope download didn't work. Email the file to gsk12345@btopenworld.com. (I think that's the right address) If you ask nicely he may host it for you. That's how I got Pinball Football hosted.

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 16:51
Cheers! Finally some1 offering sage advice that i can relate to. Ill e-mail the file right-away!

optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2003 16:53
Ur spot-on about the collision though i have made that ball move in changing directions.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:24:08
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:24:08