Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / CattleRustler MS Access DLL,, can it do this?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 21:55
I set up an MSAccess Database from my DBApp which is working fine, but i have a few questions, there proberley all no's, but you dont know unless you ask

1. Can you access an online Database so i dont have to download it every time?
2. Can you run a form, report or Macro from darkbasic
3. Can i open more than 1 datbase at a time or do i have to run MDB_SetConnection(sConn) when switching inbetween?

Question 1 and 3 are the main ones i want answered as if there possable then it would be a big improvement in my app.

Thanks

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 16:34
Quote: "1. Can you access an online Database so i dont have to download it every time?"

If the database location can be determined via the connection string (which iirc it can) then yes, the location shouldnt matter, but youll need to try it, I only tested locally when building the dll.

Quote: "2. Can you run a form, report or Macro from darkbasic"

If this functionality can be added I would have a go, currently I dont have the time to look into this now, but I am willing to at some point. I have often wanted to make better versions of my database plugins to accomodate way more slick functionality.

Quote: "3. Can i open more than 1 datbase at a time or do i have to run MDB_SetConnection(sConn) when switching inbetween?"

Actually this one I am not sure about. I think the plugin acts as a singular instance so any calls to those functions are considered within the same instance, so you may be forced, currently, to switch between. This is another interesting thing that could be changed at the dll level to accomodate multiple database connections to different databases, or layer the actual db layer to a collection of instances, sort of like I did with the serial port multi plugin which lets you communicate with multiple comm ports via the one dbp instance of the plugin.

having said all of this, if you havent tried dgdk.net yet I think you mght want to when its rereleased. You can basically do anything you want in your code, without the need for countless plugins, all still while managing your DX stuff using the dgdk. Just a thought.

[href]mod2software[/href]
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 18:37 Edited at: 14th Mar 2008 18:39
Thanks, i'll try and connect to an online database at some point, although im not tosure what all the options are for

Seperate Databases arnt essential for me as i can throu everythink in the 1 database, but i would like login data stored online in a seperate database if possable

I dont know if your aware but your plugin is not compatable with the MSAccess 2007 format, so you still have to save it as 2002/03 format, orelse DarkBasic just crashes.

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 03:21:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 03:21:55