Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / New to C++ game programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still new to the game programming world. Can anyone help me and give me some tips on how to better my skills? I've done afew of the tutorials that came with Dark GDK, but i feel that they are limited. Anything would be a great help.
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
Without an understanding of your skill level I think the general advice to improving your game programming skills would be to start with Pong, the maybe a Pacman using 2D and 3D objects. The nice thing about these examples is that the media is available and so are code examples just do a search on the forum

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 00:27
Your subject indicates C++, so I might assume that your C++ skills aren't up to the task, maybe? I've generally found that to understand a new language you need to read the book twice. Once to get a comprehensive overview of the language and the second time to study the details now that you know how it all fits together.

In general with an OOP you consider each object (player, attacker(s), etc.) as being able to do what it needs to do; move, accelerate, shoot, turn, hide, whatever. That's where you design the code for the object class and get down to the details. Once that's done and tested you can then concentrate more on the details of the game play. You may have to tweak a class somewhere but the effort put forth in designing it in the first place makes the adjustments easier.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2008 02:31
treat Programming (games or otherwise) like LEGOS.

Make tiny steps, and try to organize and save your work.

Each reusable bit of code you make that does something is a lego.

Legos are consistant... thats why they can snap together fairly easily. Same with Code. Get your own style, stick with it. It will help you find your own bugs and make your code more readable to you always.

Once you start having a bucket of legos overtime - its easier to build stuff!

Oh... And have fun doing it otherwise its quite futile!

Tranquil
Years of Service
User Offline
Thankyou, yall have been a big help! I was starting to feel kinda lost, being new to this and all.
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
Tranquil,

using DarkGDK requires some knowledge of ANSI C++, to be honest you don't need to use OOP design when using DGDK - which can be confusing learning about classes, inheritance, polymorphism, encapsulation etc... If your just starting out, I would go for procedural coding - probably going to get flamed but oh well...

I've been getting back into C++ myself recently, so, get a book from your local library or buy a book such as the Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days or get some tutorials off the net and get a basic understanding of a C++ program, then gradually learn how classes work.
Tranquil
Years of Service
User Offline
I hear ya VX but i'm am taking classes on C++ in my college. we just moving alil slow.
Etix
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I have the same question as the OP. But, my question is this. When using the Visual C++ 2008 from M$, how do I know which new project I should open to input the code? ie. File> New> Project> a window opens with different project types. Visual C++ CLR, Win32, General and the GDK Wizards.

I think a CLR Console app is just an app that opens a window with what was coded will occur in that window.

Any suggestions?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:22:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:22:39