Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK seems slower than DBPro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I performed a quick comparison of DarkGDK and DBPro with a simple spinning cube example and noticed that DGDK runs at about 70 FPS where DB PRO runs at about 122 FPS, using 640x480 in full screen exclusive mode.

Anyone else noticed this and what is the reason?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 02:24
LOL - NO! DarkGDK is way faster! Something is going on in your configuration that is different from everyone else.

I've put DBPro through its paces, and its GREAT. I've beat the crap out of DarkGDK... and its definately FASTER.

I CAN bog it down... but I NEVER got results like you.

Same Screen Resolution and Depth? Camera Range? Positive your video card is not "AutoSwitching" to a hardware versus software rendering when you run DBPRO apps or some variotion... in short - You need to get APPLES to APPLES and you'll see darkgdk is faster.

Have Right DirectX? Did you compile this cube thing or someone else? etc etc.

If DarkGDK was slower than DBPro... Why would ANY OF US not switched? That's the question you need to ask.. only so you get motivated and figure out why your results have been less than stellar.

Seriously - investigate - because ...well... Its faster hands down.

JulesD
Years of Service
User Offline
I think DarkGDK is running at your monitor refresh rate.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 05:40
Yeah, GDK is capped to your monitors refersh rate, which is a pain in the ... TGC

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 09:22
@monotonic - lol... new expression for us

"oh...I have an TGC in line 345"

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 09:37
Quote: ""oh...I have an TGC in line 345""

LOL

@Virtual X
Seriously though, if you run your DGDK app in fullscreen mode and in your video card driver set the Vertical Sync to OFF (FORCE OFF on nVidea cards) then the app will run flat out and you will see the true fps.

By the way .... in my testing DGDK is not always faster than DBPro, I have found situations where there is barely any difference, but generally it runs faster and often much faster.

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 15:13 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 15:22
Yes, Monotonic is right, DGDK is capped at my refresh rate. I've installed everything I need to install, everything is as it should be, I compiled in release mode, even tried tweaking a few build settings in favour of 'fast code' for x86, still no luck, to be honest, I really don't know what the problem is.

I have an old system (P4, 2.8Ghz, 1.3GB RAM, GeForce2 64MB MX 400), I suppose I should really get a better graphics card, but I get about 325 FPS using TrueVision 6.5, so I don't think I should be getting 70 FPS with DGDK.
Rye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 17:43
using the generated code when you start a project, the one with 50 objects spinning. i get 75 fps, increasing that to 1000 objects also gives me 75 fps.

I know my monitor frequency is 75hz and having vsync turned on would explain the fps cap.

I cant find the command in the help file for turning it off though.

if you want your main game loop to have a tick of 100 or 40 or something then you're gonna have a few problems.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 18:02
You used to be able to setup the display in windowed mode (non-exclusive) and remove the title bar etc.. and maxmise the window which would remove the restricted FPS.

e.g.

But lately it doesn't seem to work.

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 19:33 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 19:40
Setting your app to run full screen (no window) and disabling the vertical sync with your graphics driver still works fine for me, no capping of fps to the monitor refresh rate.

If the driver is set to 'Use the 3D application setting' or 'Force ON' then you'll be capped! If you run windowed then it's capped anyhow ... no matter what you do with the driver in my experience.

[EDIT]
This is a known bug which has been confirmed by TGC, see the following post:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=121943&b=15
[/EDIT]

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
ah well... I'll see what I can do with DGDK for the time being, it's not as though 70 fps is a big deal, just have to wait for it to get fixed - if at all
koolaid 2764
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 17:27
Virtual X, where you been man, wondering what ever happened to you?

P4 3.2GHZ | 2GB ram | Geforce 5200 256MB | WinXP

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:20:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:20:50