Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Sound recognizing?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 12:40
Hi, all!

I was thinking of something cool lately and
i though that if you could get a sound
recognizing dll to your games you could
do stunning things!

Like, for example:
If you have an RPG, or an RTS you could order them
to "ATTACK".

I think that this has to do with the pitch, sound and length of the sound input.

This would be done with a mic though.

But is this possible?

I heard somebody has made this before!

---:GAME MAKING IS BEST:---
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 13:06 Edited at: 20th Mar 2008 13:07
Yes, they have. Microsoft has the Speech API, SAPI. It can speak, and also it can be trained to recognize voice commands as well. I suspect that it is the basis of Sync, which is being used in cars these days. There is an SDK at Microsoft for using it.

If you have the Enhancements plug-in, it has the text-to-speech in there already. The recognition is sadly missing, however. It is pretty complete in that it can accept an XML file that has commands embedded in it, along with the text to speak.

There are a couple of plug-ins that also do the speaking part, but...I don't know of any that use the part you are interested in using. I also have a plug-in that can speak, but the recognition part is rather involved, and I am stretched pretty thin right now.

If you want to experiment with it...it is likely to be installed already on your system. You can get at it through Control Panel, the item is Speech. There is a tab for each portion. The Text To Speech tab will let you see what voices are installed and also you can type text in the edit box, and it will speak the text.
bergice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 13:17
Yes, i know about speech.

"Hellooooo... I am Sam...."

But if i want to have game in DBP/DB where i need a mic, and i can say for example "IDIOT!" and it will recognize that and respond to it.

And is it possible to kind of launch sam in DB and then play speech through DB?

---:GAME MAKING IS BEST:---
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 13:31
Yes, if you have the Enhancements DLL. It will be in your 'plugins-user' folder. I think it is named EnhancementsFPSC.dll
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=enhancementpack_commands

The speech recognition is in the same DLL, but noone has written the functions to use it. Unfortunately for you, it uses a COM interface, and is difficult to impossible to use from DBPro directly through load dll. Styx allows you to use COM components.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 03:34:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 03:34:30