Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / A few questions about some GDK functions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I am just curious about some functions in Dark GDK. If you have any experience with them and can share, that will be grateful.

1. dbWait and dbSleep, dbWaitKey and dbSuspendForKey, dbWaitMouse and dbSuspendForMouse. Each pair has the same description in documentation. Are they really the same function with different names? Or is there any difference (speed, implementation, etc.) between them?

2. If I have a PNG image and want to show it on screen, will dbPasteImage be faster/slower than dbSprite? I don't need animation, just clear the screen, then show the image.

Thanks!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 19:09
sleep allows other processes on your computer to run - during the delay - kinda sharing the CPU.

The suspend commands I think are more TABOO than goto statements.... but thats a personal opinion - nothing to really concern yourself with....

You might want to do your own benchmarks on paste image versus sprite... and please report back your findings if you do!

I'd suspect Sprite is faster than paste (because paste related to bitmap subsystem I think) Yet I KNOW that a sprite goes through more "things" before its drawn than I would think a PASTE does...

In short I don't know about that one.

For spalsh stuff, I load to bitmap 1, then make it current, then when loading game done, I set bitmap 0 to current again...something like that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:25:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:25:48