Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Help with a "rail shooter"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Im looking for a little bit of help.

I want to make a \"Rail Shooter\" type of game.

Essentally i want to be able to press the \"W\" key and just have the player walk down a ramp go into a teleporter come out and keep going essentally.

any ideas?

Thanks
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 20:31
Ermm....Rail Shooters are kinda possible, check my sig, there's a forum through there that has a tutorial for making them.....

Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 00:50
Rail shooters are easy. Just find the script that makes a platform follow a waypoint when stepped on and doesn't allow you to move until it reaces its destination. (I think it's on fps files) Make your waypoints,etc. and the rest is in your level design. There may be some complications, but its mostly smooth railing.

My sigs been erased by a mod!?! NOOOOO!!!
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 01:00
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 04:46
I wrote a tutorial on Rail Shooters.
http://gunn3rgames.net/forum/index.php?topic=32.0

[url="http://gunn3rgames.net/forum"]
[/url]
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 04:46
Quote: "Rail shooters are easy"

Well in theory yes but I don't think its coincidence we haven't see an FPSC Time Crisis or House of The Dead yet.

Having said that the video was great and I learned something about setting up moving platforms from Gunners tutorial (see link)

http://gunn3rgames.net/forum/index.php?topic=32.0

There is definately a gap in the forums for a game of this type and FPSC's scripting would certainly enable you to keep the action interesting.

Good Luck.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 04:47
Lol. We both posted a link at the same time...

[/url]
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 05:11
cant be done as the pathing breaks, ie it runs so far then stops gets stuck, pathing doesnt work in fpsc, or at least mine doesnt, perhaps there are better scripts and it can work.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 05:16
Are you putting the platform a little above the ground, and not directly on the ground?

[/url]
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 09:18 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 09:21
That may of been it perhaps, which is it supossed to be? I remember it followed some paths but then stuck and that was that, but characters do that with waypoints, they follow them then stick and do that running on the spot, so I figured waypoints do not work.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 12:12
I hate waypoints, whenever I try, the platform starts at about a foot off the ground, and 10 metres later I get that dragging sound telling me it's on the floor......

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 12:42
Open 'setup.ini', which is inside the 'FPS Creator' folder.

Scroll down to where you see: [GAMEPROFILE]

Delete the entries for, key1, key2, key3 and key4.

You should be left with:

key1 =
key2 =
key3 =
key4 =

Removing those entries will stop the player from using WASD, hence, stopping the player from moving, COMPLETELY!

You can also delete the other keys if you want to stop the player from doing other things, like reloading, jumping etc.

Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 12:48 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 13:28
gunn3r...

When the players speed is 1..
And you have finished the level in the exe file..

is than the player speed reset or is it only 1 in the whole game?

[edit]

another question..

When i place the Antigravplatform in the air.. than it dont move..

And when i shoot on the platform.. its going trugh the floor..

Exgyser
Years of Service
User Offline
OK so in order to make that script that Gun3r suggested do i have to have dark basic? or is there a way around that (being that i do not own dark basic lol)

Also another question that comes to mind is making the floating platform go to differnt levels if i place a check point on a different level will the platform go to that different layer?
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 03:04
Quote: "When i place the Antigravplatform in the air.. than it dont move.."

...this occurs because the waypoints are designed to default to the floor of the closest segment in the level.

One workaround for this might be (I've never tried to solve this problem) to create a special transparent floor segment that has collisions turned off.

In theory, it won't be seen, the player can fall through it, and I believe the waypoints will contour to it.

Quote: "...And when i shoot on the platform.. its going trugh the floor.."

...this occurs because every trajectory is calculated from the player's field of view.

FPSC doesn't know that the player is hovering around on a floating object. It simply plots the straight line to targets.

Had a similiar weird experience, when I was equipping remote controlled bots with LAW rockets. When they fired, the trajectory was always funky...sometimes really high (when the player crouched) or sometimes through the floor (when the player was on an elevated position behind them). The trajectory was always plotted based upon the player's reference point.

ARE YOU A LONE WOLF? CLICK BELOW TO JOIN THE PACK.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 03:12
@Exgyser,
No. Open up Notepad, and copy and paste that script into it. Goto File-> Save As....
See where it says .txt - Text Document?
Select "All Files"
Save it as "lift3.fpi" in your Program Files/The Game Creators/FPS Creator/Files/Scriptbank folder.
Right click the platform and set AI Main to the "lift3.fpi" script that you just made.

[/url]
Exgyser
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh just a fun note Gunn3r.....(one more reason to hate vista) it doesn't work like that anymore tried to change the file extension and it saved it as lift3.fpi.txt!!! lol GOD I HATE VISTA!!!! Used my xp machine and it worked fine

Thanks so much!!!!!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 12:23
@Exgyser

Watch attached Video....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 17:28
Quote: "...GOD I HATE VISTA!!!! "

...I hear your pain, Brother.

I kicked Vista to the curb, on my machine,
and installed XP.

All is right in the world, now...

ARE YOU A LONE WOLF? CLICK BELOW TO JOIN THE PACK.

Dark Jaguar Flame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 17:31
Quote: "GOD I HATE VISTA!!!! "

I like Vista ( sometimes )

It has good things..

And bad things..

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 17:31
@Exgyser, No problem. It's what I'm here for.

[/url]
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 23:30 Edited at: 25th Mar 2008 23:56
LOL

I've had far too many moments of frustration since using Vista also but got passed most of them now.

- If your developing for FPSC X9 in addition to X10 using Vista ensure you change the program compatibility options to 'Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and the privilege level 'Run this program as an administrator'.

Otherwise when you build a game you'll find there is no output folder visible.

In fact you'll need to set all applications like Signs or Firma to run in administrator mode or you'll never find any of your assets.

Also as you've noticed if your trying to change file extensions or amending the existing ones Vista won't allow you to do that unless you have full admin rights to the root FPSC installation directory. It can all become quite annoying but you can eventually get things setup to work for you.

- FPSC X10 is ok now following the updates which fixed the window style and resolution compatibility issues. For some reason it also installs a bunch of folders in 'My Documents' which I haven't figured out why yet.

I've been close to re installing XP a few times but just about got my head around it now. I've still got a bunch of assets I created with applications not running in administrator mode that can be seen in the FPSC directory but not in windows explorer.

I don't like the way Vista has put in all these extra controls just to allow you to have control over your own PC even when the UAC has been disabled you are still do not have true admin access. You have to create a dedicated administrator account (not your default one) and log back in with that. Otherwise you'll spend about 6 months giving individual folders the correct permissions so you can actually use them.

Its prettier than XP but its probably the most patronising operating system I've ever used.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 19:23:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 19:23:19