Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / coming soon: DTP!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't get ahead of yourself there, Inferno. It's easy to deem a picture of the main menu a "screenshot", but it's not. Don't ever start a game by making the main menu, it's almost guaranteed to fail - well at least if I'm involved it is.

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 19:46
I always use to start with main menus, only to fail.I usually start making the models for my game, before I code, and then work into coding a little, so I can see them in action.That's how it works for me, but it varies with everyone.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 20:04
I always do the hardest bit first, if possible. Normally the basic engine code, because that's basically the entire game. So, for those who've seen my little speeder game - first I made the random track generator, and then the engine to make a box drive over it, and now I'm doing whatever the hell I like - media, extra features etc etc, because the hardest bit is in place.

Machine: P4 2200, 1GB RAM, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum
http://www.breakbeat-terrorism.co.uk
(It's not all about the coding)
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 20:15
Forgot to mention ... the hardest bit is in place, but it still doesnt work properly. hehe.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 20:48
Ive already finished the main menu , more or less everything in the menu is working fine, im still working on customisable controls which is nearly done and the load game function which i wont do till the game's more or less finished.

At the moment i'm having a bit of trouble with the world engine, i cant decide whether or not to use .x objects or a bsp map. The trouble is that there are so many bugs with bsps that they are hardly useful at all but x objects tend to lower the framerate a lot and i cant seem to get my lightmaps to work on the .x level. I tried using kevils lightmap generator but it really didn't like the level and crashed almost instantly .

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 21:05 Edited at: 19th Jul 2003 21:05
Inferno, if its indoor, you'll just have to go with bsp.That's probebly the way I'd go, so you'd have to just deal with the bugs. Since horror games can usually be slower paced, x objects would also work.Although, I can't really give a good anwser unless I know if it's indoors/outdoors, and the pace of the game.

Yellow:Wanna publish my game microsoft, cuz i no u rich so...Can I have my bag of money now?
Microsoft: *snicker* Tip of the month-Microsoft will never(probebly) publish your game.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
yellow: "I always use to start with main menus, only to fail"

Exactly. That's why I stopped doing it.

And really, I think main menus are meant to be done LAST, because you could suddenly decide you want to add a feature to the game and have to add to the main menu.

SW Games - www.freewebs.com/swgames

Yeah, I know, I only have one game. Yeah, I know it sucks. But I made it! Me!
Newbie Brogo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 00:11
O_o how can you model so good... i wish i waz that good, i'm gonna try 3dsmax5 then

Halozane Future Owner.
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2003 17:23
@yellow: its both , theres gonna be a lot of outside elements (such as walking through a large town or park) and a load of inside elements aswell (such as inside a church or house). Im gonna have to wait till u5 and see if they have finally fixed the bsp probs, if they don't then i'll have to create my own world format which i am not keen on doing . I dont really know the pace of the game either.

@ZHence: I always tend to fail if i dont start the main menu first, dont really know why though

@Newbie Brogo: Cheers , 3dsmax 5 isnt the easiest modeller to use and it takes a lot of work to get to know how to use it. But once you learn the basics you can really do stunning things with it

Ok, i'v started to texture the model and as far as i can tell, there are no visible seams (thank god ). C&C welcome

Heres the pic:

and another;

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 17:12 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2003 17:13
And here's the first in game pic of part of the level that will feature in the demo

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 18:12
Nice looking level. I assume thats a BSP. What are you using to make your BSP maps/compile them etc?

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 19:15
Yere this one's a BSP map, i used gtkradient with the standard compilers that come with it.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 19:57 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2003 20:00
Very good shots, i'm waiting for your demo.....
Well i see this topic will be your game log.

Free Download for a Free World
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 20:17
What are the 12 and -1 in the screenshot? I'm hoping 12 isnt the FPS. I've never used BSPs, so I dont know how fast/slow they are.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 20:38
Na its not that slow , there just coordinates. The top FPS i got was around 100 to 120 but now its around 90 cos i've just put in a collision function type thing which seems to be working pretty well .

The thing is im getting really strange bsp problems including falling through the floor at random moments and invisible walls... very strange, and im pretty sure its not due to my crappy programming

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 22:30
Hmmm, if I'm correct isn't gtkradient a full product yet, and only a beta? That may be one of the problems, if my assumption is correct.

Anyways, it looks nice.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2003 22:44
I've heard loads of people mentioning about falling through the floor on BSP maps and other problems. I'm guessing its just more bugs.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2003 17:12
Yere i know, i really do hope they fix all the bsp probs in patch 5 cos they are really annoying me now...

ive just optimised the collision code so now im getting about 120 to 160 FPS and iv just solved this weird problem which has been bugging me for sometime now.

If i have an object positioned on one side of the church and position it to the otherside (when you die and have to be position to the starting point for example) then you kinda get stuck on the wall as if your moving the object very quickly between the two points. Very strange...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:06:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:06:56