Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Visual C++ installation woes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 13:36
I just downloaded all of the DarkGDK installation files, but I'm struggling at the first step. The computer I use when I'm coding isn't connected to the Internet, but to install Visual C++ I have to be online to download 84MB of stuff from Microsoft. Could someone please tell me how I can install Visual C++ on my computer?

Did you hear about the escapologist's funeral? He was buried on June 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 16:59
M$ is Evil! I Installed a "MSCRM4.0 Client for Outlook" and it required I update my PC first... OK... Fine.

I went to do a repair later... it FORCED me AGAIN... like what I had wasn't good enough anymore.

To summerize - I don't think you can get around this. Maybe someone will set you and me straight - but I think their business model is about selling software - and one thing about a FREE C++ compiler is - it wasn't free to make - so they use it as a "teaser" and a marketing tool - that downloads internet etc.

Your Registration etc. has to be done online... this is so they can count "potential customers" etc...

Good luck - I'm just thinking your issue goes away if you simply connect to the internet temporarily - install it, then disconnect and turn off the "Start Page" thing if it lets you - so its not downloading new adds all the time... "Click Here" - New Dev Tool etc.

Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2008 18:27
Quote: "I'm just thinking your issue goes away if you simply connect to the internet temporarily"

Erm... Although I have Internet access, it isn't really possible to connect my computer to the internet. Perhaps someone should point out to Microsoft that not every computer in the world is online...

It's a pity this Visual C++ isn't like the DBPro trial, where you simply install the demo on your Intenet-linked computer, download the activation code and then copy the resulting file to your own computer. I'm starting to wonder if this all worthwhile...

Did you hear about the escapologist's funeral? He was buried on June 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th...
J_C
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Robert
Download the DVD image file from microsoft and you can
burn a DVD and then install on the other PC.
Thats if you've got a DVD writer...
I've done this with no problems..
Hope this helps...
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 01:40
Yea ^ Bet me to it lol
^

DevilMouse Developments Lead Developer
Rye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 02:10
Yes, bash microsoft. Clearly they are evil to create a FREE c++ compiler, AND to produce frequent updates.

As a programmer yourself, you should know how we make mistakes and need to update things. In something as big as windows there should be hundreds if not thousands of bugs or things that need updating. And if something requires a bug fix or upgrade to be able to work then so what.

" I think their business model is about selling software "

REALLY... my god.. a company actually wanting to make money... well thats just stupid...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 02:55
Hmmm... You seem a bit testy there Rye.

I don't mind calling M$ evil - and my reasons are far more reaching than having to install an update.

The fact is that the MSCRM4 Client software REFUSED to just install when I clearly had the required software. Once more - before I could update my MSCRM4.0 Client for Microsoft Outlook - I was forced to download a huge Service Pack For my Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 because there was an update for it and these two packages aren't related - furthermore that service pack that has been known to cripple development projects requiring much rework. so - I needed to risk all my development project's progress to use my Microsoft Outlook and the Microsoft CRM Outlook client - that just allows me to attach an email to a "customer" record in our CRM?

What does my Compiler have to do with my Outlook? You want to talk about stupid? Let me Go Download the latest Yahoo so I can play Halo! It just doesn't make sense.

I'm sorry, I just don't mind insulting a big corporate giant with more money than god. Especially when I know that one of the their newest operating system projects is going to be a modular subscription based system. It's heading that way now and has been (Download Silverlight yet? I won't! Do you know what Silverlight Really is besides a "flash replacement"?)- and AS A PROGRAMMER - it bothers me that soon any softare I write "with a free" or "pay for" compiler will be unable to help me run programs on the latest and greatest system unless I subscribe. Sorry... but for some reason - AS A PROGRAMMER - this bothers me - and yes - I think that is evil..

But hey - we're all entitled to our opinions - and no need to get all snide, right?

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 03:12
@JSP - Rye is not the testy one here. Your comment was silly, that's all. I mean why would a software company have any other sort of mission? Everything else they provide rests on selling software, otherwise they'd be out of business entirely. Protecting that software is vital. VC++ is not a free compiler, just a non-optimizing version of their commercial product.

Its also silly for us to expect to be able to use it as-is if we don't already know the IDE pretty well. I would not want to try that, and I see it is causing all sorts of issues with people wanting to try it out.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 03:36
Well I'm not trying to attack anyone...

Silly comments are allowed...

...and frankly I have reasons for not liking where Microsoft is headed. I wasn't trying to open a debate as to whether or not Microsoft should try to make money. My opinions are not based on that as much as "How" they sometimes go about it.

Also - I was empathetic to the poster's comments and was explaining why it works that way - not calling the idea of making money from software stupid.

You're right jinzai - its not free - we borrow it - and it is as much a marketing tool as shareware trial software - no harm in that.

Best Regards,
... Ahem.. JPS

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 04:19 Edited at: 29th Mar 2008 04:20
No problem at all...at least we got to the meat of the issue, about which I agree...both as a programmer, and as an end-user. SilverLight is a bad idea disguised as a panacea. (Alot like MFC, or .NET depending on what you think of those two.)

I use VC++ 2003...which got borked wrt .NET in an update, too. Still is that way. I don't use .NET, so it does not matter to me. I understand your reticence in that regard, as well.

...and you did clarify in a way that makes me understand who the real culprit is....salesmen!

Cheers JSP.

Still, Robert...I think you either buy it for $179, and get everything including the resource editor, or you use a variant of J_C's method. If you have a flash drive, you can go to most any library that has internet access, and download it to the flash drive, and use that to install it to your system. I think that if you buy it, the docs will be local to your computer. I really don't like that aspect of the free versions at all!
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 14:28
Thanks guys. I'll try burning off the DVD image file at some point in the next few days - 864Mb is one heck of a lot to download just for VC++, and I'm not sure I can stand another hour or so of downloading right this minute!

At least (I think) I won't have to send Microsoft loads of details to get a registration key...

Actually, while I think on, there was another point I meant to ask about. I currently have DirectX 9.0 - will installing DirectX 9.0c SDK affect how DarkBASIC Classic runs on my computer? (I keep reading how these things are backwards compatible, but it never hurts to make sure...)

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 17:29
Quote: "Actually, while I think on, there was another point I meant to ask about. I currently have DirectX 9.0 - will installing DirectX 9.0c SDK affect how DarkBASIC Classic runs on my computer? (I keep reading how these things are backwards compatible, but it never hurts to make sure...)"

You should be fine because DarkGDK LINKS to a specific DirectX library, but end programs just use the "latest directx" on the system...

jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 17:34
You will eventually! I guess we all forgot to tell you that it will work for...I'm not sure how long, but then you will have to get online and register it to use it after that. Maybe noone else has noticed that little tidbit.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 18:39
Yeah - this rings true - just register and they give you code you use forever if you don't lose it! LOL

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 15:30:21