Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Need help with basic networking

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I've been trying to get into working on multiplayer darkGDK functions but they've been rather daunting, and just getting the program to stay running for 20 seconds without freezing is a nearly impossible task. Am I doing something horribly wrong here? I'm trying to just do the most basic of basic things, send a message and print that it was actually sent.

Also, the checkprint function just prints a file for debugging. I've confirmed it works.

I realize I'm sending an integer when checking for a string, but the thing is that it's not even reading there being a message in the que, ever. And this is when I could get the programs to start up without crashing
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2008 15:47 Edited at: 31st Mar 2008 15:50
I would try using multisync instead http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=120129&b=22

This is a plugin compatible with DarkGDK that uses TCP/IP. DarkGDK multiplayer commands are widely considered to be of limited functionality; basically, they are too slow for many purposes.
Lich120
Years of Service
User Offline
Im not sure if its helpful, but I personally found the Networking commands in DarkGDK very limited and generally poor. However the beauty of DarkGDK is you can use other Network Libraries to get the job done. If you're willing use something else, I personally found Raknet (multiplayer network engine) wonderfully powerful and easy to use. The site is http://www.jenkinssoftware.com and its free, and from the site it looks like its been used in some pretty big titles. This may not be the help you were looking for, but I thought Id toss out the idea since it helped me out immensely on my project.
Elspin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the responses guys . I think I'll have to go with multisync, because I just want to do some very basic networking and though Raknet does look simpler than most, it looks worlds harder than multisync.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:19:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:19:45