Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / hi there

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hi to all, i was just wondering, i´m using vc++ and i was wondering can i import 3d models into my maps? i made a map with a jpg image and the height map, but its just me walking around, can i add a 3d model of a tree or something like that? or how can i import a 3d level i made with a software lets say, freeworld or fps creator, with all its models not just the heightmap, and the texture jpg. thanks for any responses
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 07:06 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2008 15:36
There are a couple of ways to accomplish that. Usually, at the start of a project people just load the models inline. After some time of doing that, they realize that it is not a very flexible way to do that, so they begin asking that same question.

So, they start with separate maps and models, and progress into something more elaborate, like scripting, or creating a more generalized asset loading scheme.

id packs all map assets into a pk3 file, and models that belong to the map, too. That is a collapsed directory of all of the maps, their associated textures and models. The player avatar models, and the NPC avatar models are located elsewhere, but are loaded using scripting.

You will want to adopt that type of scheme, which keeps the map and its assets separate from the avatars, otherwise you will not be able to select a different avator for a particular map.

Look into LUA, XML, or creating your own asset management model with code to support it.

Hope that helps.
psyum
Years of Service
User Offline
hey thanks for your help mate i`ll look into it, btw I assume Dark gdk has some sort of a method fo checking collisions does someone know which on is it? or do i have to check it the old way?
psyum
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry one more question, i already have a fully animated 3d model but how do i animate it with the arrow keys...which method do i need to use to make it move with the arrow keys thanks for the help

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:20:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:20:53