Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dynamic Terrain Lighting?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2008 22:50
My apologies if this is somewhere else already but I couldn't find it. I'm making a game where the player may be in one huge environment for hours on end, and I am trying to change the lighting on the terrain every half hour based on the clock (dbGetTime$() specifically). The command dbSetTerrainLight() does not seem to do anything once the terrain is built. Any ideas? Thank you all in advance!

"...The Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld, it is here that we shall make our stand!" -Aldaris
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 18:23
While I'm not that familiar with DGDK just yet, try changing the ambient light level. In DBPro I've been playing with lighting a lot the last few weeks, and you can get decent effects by playing with ambient light level, and ambient light color. Also if you're using an actual light for your Sun you'll have to lower it's level and/or alter it's color as it heads for the horizon too.

Shadow Fan 0
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 20:30
Right now the sun is just part of the skybox art but I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'll give the ambient lighting another shot later today. I remember using it last and it didn't seem to darken or lighten things, just kind of made everything look sickly I think I just wasn't using it correctly, I'll try it again. Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

"...The Protoss do not run from their enemies. Aiur is our homeworld, it is here that we shall make our stand!" -Aldaris
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 23:00
Another thing I've noticed is Light 0 is almost completely useless. It seems to be tied to the ambient light. If you want to use SET LIGHT RANGE, it doesn't work on light 0. As soon as I made a light 1, the light commands started having an effect on the light.

So as far as I can tell at the moment the 8 DirectX lights you have access to are Ambient Light, and Lights 1-7.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:33:51
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:33:51