Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / Anyone know how to monitor USB activity of another running program?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 06:44
There is a program I can buy that will allow me to use a generic digital still camera attached to the computer via USB to take a series of stills at a specified interval, say 4 seconds, for the purpose of time lapse photography.

I want to create a similar program that uses non linear intervals so I need to be able to control the camera myself. Is there a DLL or program that can allow me to monitor the activity of another program at the USB port?

The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything? "Tea for Two". Deep Thought was Dyslexic.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 09:14
I think that you don't need that much control. Why not just keep the interval time in your program, and just take a single frame at the non-linear interval that suits your end application. You have the ability of getting good granularity in your timer, and the mod operator can be used to set non-linear intervals based on the modulus. If you use the right modulus, you can get alot of different intervals without too much trouble. You could also just use a counter, and take pictures at more specific times, which you could also make nonlinear easily using a single counter variable.
MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 14:15 Edited at: 4th Apr 2008 14:37
good idea, but if i where to do this then i'de proberley use a webcam though as I remember seeing some code on the forumz once to access a webcam, Then using the timer to get the individual frame at the right time.

IE:

i thik the benefit with this example is that its easy to change the TimeLapse Value, I'd also use this method as lots of people have webcams nowerdays

Edit: I just did a quick search and found this for webcam access

if your Camera was also designed to work as a WebCam then this "May" work

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 18:31
If you want to control the camera yourself, download Stop Motion Animator and force a keypress using DLL calls to take a photo. You'll have to run two programs at once, but it would be easy to set up.

I fail at life. No, really.
Vidiot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 08:24
Thanks Guys!

@NeX, I think that's going to be the easiest way to go! I forgot about sending keystrokes to other programs. I like that.

@MSon, thanks, I'll try that too. But for a different project. My webcam doesn't have the resolution for the kind of timelapse I want to do with my digital still. But I have been interested in learning how to do that. So thanks!!!

@jinzai, What I was trying to do is discover what commands the other program was sending so I could mimic them with my program. It turns out there are apps for this available online. They're designed for testing new usb devices but they can track and log all activity via the usb port.

Thanks all!!!

The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything? "Tea for Two". Deep Thought was Dyslexic.
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 14:02
I did the same thing with GlovePIE pressing "f" every minute. Made an awesome timelapse.

I fail at life. No, really.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-08 03:28:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-08 03:28:13