Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Collision Course

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 12:04 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 10:04
Resurrected an old 20-line project and added some pizazz to it. Basically, a 3D Asteroids game. This is the beta, and we plan to take it further. In V2, we will be looking at PVP or CoOp play via the internet.

=======================================
First, some of the required eye candy:

Second, a few directions for the few that want to jump right in.

Mouse Move: Pitch and Turn
Left Mouse Button: Fire Gauss Cannons
Up/Down Arrow Keys: Forward & Reverse Thrust
Left/Right Arrow Keys: Roll
Space Bar: Fire Missile
Right Shift: HyperJump
Left Shift: DeathBlossom

Third, a HUD tour.

Left Side:
Vel = Ship Velocity
TTI = Time To Impact (how much time you have left)
DES = Destruction Capability of the Asteroid (you want this gone)
BAT = Battery. Not yet used. Will power HyperJumps and DeathBlossoms.
Status = Status. Not yet used.

Center Left:
Shields = Shields

Center Right:
A = Ammo for Gauss Cannons
M = Missiles Remaining

Right Side:
Radar Screen = Radar Screen that still needs a little work.

Center Window = Flashing Proximity Alert. When you are close to an asteroid, this will make concentration even more difficult, but you should switch your focus to getting out of the way anyway.

Fourth, a little background story.

The year is 2063 and about 10 billion folks inhabit the planet. Astronomers have identified a huge rock hurdling towards the Earth that will likely wipe out most life on the planet except cockroaches and duck-billed platypuses.

Nukes, if they can hit the target, will likely just break the thing into smaller, yet decidedly deadlier pieces. One scientist was quoted saying that "it would be better if we used the nukes on ourselves and get it over quickly."

Space fighters have not yet been developed, however scientists quickly modified the latest and greatest combat fighter available for brief survival in space. With the latest technology available, you are convinced to fly this coffi... erm ship into space to "see what you can do."

You have a few tactical short-range nuclear missiles and heavy gauss cannons that fire radioactive rounds. The idea is that you might be able to break the rock into smaller and smaller chunks until the remaining debris is survivable... or with the best of hopes, is unable to penetrate Earths closer defenses (such as the atmosphere).

Your ship is a basically a tin can that will be destroyed by the tiniest of rocks. Fortunately, the scientists saw fit to fit the craft with a shield that pushes your ship away from the danger (and does a bit of damage to anything that hits it). Lose your shields, and you lose your ship - and probably your life as well. There is an escape pod that will jettison you back to Earth. Should you survive the horrible demise of being crushed by rocks in space, you can return safely home to a fate worse than death (unless you actually manage to succeed... of course).

Fifth, a few notes:

Easy level is really easy, and pretty darn fun too. You get to blow lots of things up. Once you get tired of that and want a bit of a challenge, start about medium level.

If you are a hard core gamer and can take on anything, feel free to try the Insane level. Let me warn you that it was designed to be won with the creative and skilled player in mind. That means you will likely need to effectively use all the weapons at hand;

>>Missiles: which do a ton of damage, but are slow and are difficult to hit anything with. If you waste one missile shot on the insane level, you probably won't make it.

>>DeathBlossom: which spins your ship around in random directions and shoots in those random directions. The shots do more damage than regular shots. Oh, and you can try to control the spin a bit and aim the ship, so you might squeeze out enough damage from a DeathBlossom or two to win this scenario.

Shields: would not be my first choice for destroying asteroids. However, if you are out of ammo and missiles, what else can you use? Ramming Speed!!!

Finally, this is beta:

Please test out the game and let me know what you think. It is still a little rough around the edges and these will be smoothed out in the near future: things like transitions from one screen to the next, misaligned hud items, and a few missing hud items.

Most of the media used is open source and free. However, the game is not and there are some media that are not free to use. If you want to use anything, I would recommend simply asking. We can tell you what is and is not free.

Link: http://slayer93.galekus.com/openmmo/Collision%20Course.rar

Open MMORPG: It's your game!
Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2008 20:57
I think your download link is broken. But it's looking good
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 08:26 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 05:49
First, the file won't upload. O.k. So I added a link, but the link doesn't seem to work. I guess folks will just have to copy and past the URL to their browsers.

Retrying the link here.

http://slayer93.galekus.com/openmmo/Collision%20Course.rar

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 04:13
Cool Game RiiDii, had fun playing it and it has some nice graphics. It was pretty easy to play too, although I played it on Cake-Walk.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 08:34 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 08:34
just gave it a quick ride for now, r2. it's purdy but the woodpecker gunfire's gotta go! i'll just replace it with some phaser or something for now and give it another ride soon

also, the space " " in the filename is prolly what's causing the grief. alas, i'm happy to cut and paste a url to anything you release.

more to come.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 17:10 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 17:32
Thanks Slayer and Virtual Nomad. I have replaced the gun fire with something a little softer. Some other updates:
Improved meteor-to-meteor collision
Player's ship moves faster
Tactical Nukes explode with more Bang
Explosions move rocks a tiny bit
Radar works better

I'll try uploading the updated files here. Otherwise, I'll post a link in a bit.

Edit:
Upload worked. Copy the .rar file to the Collision Course folder and choose "Extract here."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 01:04
Played without updated files. Pretty cool game. Would be better if there was more feedback as to whether your shots hit the asteroids or not. Bigger explosions i guess. Also, it's hard to tell how far away asteroids are. You could have a distance indicator like a horizontal bar over the asteroid that is as long as two shots fired in parallel from your ship would look at that distance. That might be an intuitive way to aid aiming. You could have a predictive target- ie indicating which direction to shoot in to hit a given asteroid, but this might make the game too easy.

Also, it currently looks like, when an asteroid breaks up, the two that come out are the same size as it! better to make them smaller, and then you can also separate them from eachother a little initially, to avoid the "cell splitting" type behaviour that is obvious at the moment.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 07:02
Thanks for the feedback Mr. Tank.

Quote: "Would be better if there was more feedback as to whether your shots hit the asteroids or not."

There is that nice pretty stream of radioactive debris flying off the rocks where the rounds hit. Are you saying it needs something more than that? Maybe more/larger debris? Although, I really want the player to have to get in closer to the rocks in order to make the game more exciting, so if that is one way to do it, I think it might be better off left alone. I will be looking into making my own particles system so that I can have more dust-like debris flying off, that might help. Also, the update file has the missiles exploding on impact, so you know when those hit.

Quote: "Also, it's hard to tell how far away asteroids are."

I was, and still am, toying with the idea of reticle that would either indicate the distance to the target, or change size based on the target's size. As far as the predictive targeting, it sounds cool. I might give it a try, though it really wouldn't do much since the rocks typically follow an arching path, and a predictive targeting system would only be linear.

Quote: "Also, it currently looks like, when an asteroid breaks up, the two that come out are the same size as it!"

This might be one of those cases where game play takes precedence over reality. I understand what you mean, but the rock sizes would diminish too quickly, and the game would not play out the same. There is a balance that has been achieved to ensure there is an asteroid field after destroying a few rocks. If they diminish in size too quickly, this field will be sparse at best, and the game too easy. I will toy with changing the settings and see what happens.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2008 20:48
Any other comments? I am working on the final game and want it to be fun, playable, and challenging. Thanks.

Lone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 17:11 Edited at: 4th Jun 2008 23:08
RUNTIME ERROR: Bitmap DOES NOT exist at line 3 !!!

What is happening??
Do I have to put the game in any determined directory?

This message error only appears when the program try to use a bitmap number that wasn't loaded yet.
So, if that error occured at line 3, the bitmap load must be at lines 1 or 2..

Please, fix it! I want to see this pretty game!

Thanks

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:40:13
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:40:13