Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How does the new DGDK.NET differ from the old?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, first post.

So I've been waiting with a lot of anticipation for the new DGDK.net to be released. However, I'm wondering exactly how it differs from the old GDK.NET, which still seems to be available for sale if you link to its page after doing a google search.

Anyways, I don't know if i can wait much longer for the release and i'm considering purchasing the old version so i can get started on a new project. If i do, will i be able to port my work over to the new GDK? How compatible are the two? Is this just a bad idea? From what i understand, the new version will be free, but the money is not an issue - getting started soon is though.

Thanks in advance dudes, you guys are the best.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 03:54
Ok, good question, and I'll endevour to answer.

The good news is, that projects using the original version should still work. This will require rereffing a new Class Library, and a couple of minor changes to namespacing, but the function names should be compatable. The COM interop library of the toolkit had to be completely rebuilt due to Intellisence(tm) requirements for Visual Studio 2008.

What will be different is that it is now fully Object Oriented. Although the original underlying interfaces remain, the new toolkit will allow you to create and manage your game using Objects and classes.

A typical example of the template project:

The new version will contain extended tutorials to emphasize specific functional areas as well, including the DarkInvaders sample that was originally distributed with the C++ version.

As for some cool extras, IO functions now work on DarkGDK window controls. If you want a winform situation where your 3D view appears on the form, you only have to draw the control onto the form, set it's properties for refresh speed and video mode. The toolkit takes care of initializing and managing the library for you.

Everything will be ultra cool, and easy to use.

Not long now folks, and I appreciate your patience.

Paul.
DarkGDK.NET Developer

chops
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, thanks for the great reply and the code snippet. Very much appreciated.

I'm glad that you guys decided to make this fully object oriented, that is something i was really hoping for.
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 06:08
Hey Paul,

I think it must be almost ready after reading your post, the OOP side has been "ultra-secret" for all this looooooooong time of waiting.

I'm glad that it will be putting our hands on it soon, so I'll just wait a more few days (or will it take weeks for the next release?) to start coding my game.

Good work, my friend

Thiago
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2008 07:36

It's made OOP??!??!??!?

giveme giveme giveme givme

APEXnow

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
I am looking forward into this.

I have vague plans for World Domination
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 04:08
The Form Control Sounds interesting.... I think I could find a use for that!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:19:05
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:19:05