Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3D gizmo

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 02:35
Hi,
I want to implement a 3D gizmo for placing objects in a scene. Is it difficult to do this? I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me some guidelines?
Because I am new to GDK I don't know if there is a specific command for such an action.

Thanks in advance
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 03:55
You have a bit of researching and stuff to do. This isn't a simple action but a series of actions that all work tohgether like cogs in a mechanical clock - mouse, camera, object, 2d-to-3d translation, orientation etc.

Check out some of the "Level Editor" threads in this (and especially the DarkBasic Pro forum). There's quite a bit to it.

Experiment though - when you start knowing a bit about it - and start asking specifics - our answers will likely help you more and won't require any of us to write a book to try to answer the questions you'll come up with.

this one is to "loaded" for me to even REALLY try. I hope you understand.

If I was you, I'd start with loading a terrain or something... maybe using the built in (advanced) Terrain (Actually fairly easy - just advanced looking) and trying to make a camera fly around.

Check out Sparky's DLL

and then you can "Drop" things onto the ground kinda via a simple gravity and using sparky to report when the object has hit the ground for example.

There are more ways than the dropping method - depends what you want this "action" to "feel" like for the user using it.

Post again with a smaller scope question - I'm sure we'll all be glad to help. Somone might even come after me and write a demo of how to do it kinda makign my talk just grovel - but - rthere really is quite a bit stuff in that seemingly simple question you asked.

george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 08:41
jason p sage,
You are right, my question is very much of global scope. Just wanted some guide lines
I will try and let the community know about it later.
I think the most difficult part of this task is the translation from mouse 2D screen coordinates to a 3D space point.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:21:43
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:21:43