Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / BlitzMAX DarkGDK Module

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 17:48 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 03:13
Allright, here is the source-code to my DarkGDK Wrapper for BlitzMAX.
By compiling this module and library, you are agreeing to the terms
and conditions provided by The Game Creators LTD (TGC).
See the DarkGDK license for details.

Download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/105454084/thegamecreators.mod.zip.html
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 19:27 Edited at: 6th Apr 2008 20:45
Assuming that by wrapper you mean a development environment, then yes, I'd say there might be a problem. DarkGDK is freeware only if the end product is a personal, non-commercial product. In a way it is for you. But what if someone else used your wrapper to develop something that was sold commercially? Would they not be liable to TGC to pay for a license?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Codger
Years of Service
User Offline
What does it do?

System
PIV 2.8 MZ 512 Mem
FX 5600 256 mem
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 21:50
@Daniel,
I'm afraid that you'll probably need to stop your distribution. The EULA states:
Quote: "1.1 Microsoft grants you a personal, nonexclusive, royalty-free license to install and use the Software for design, development, and testing purposes. You may install and use the Software on an unlimited number of computers so long as you are the only individual using the Software."

You may have altered the form of the library, but it's still a library and you only have the right to use it, not to distribute it.

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 21:57
I only have the Commercial License Terms around, but let's quote it (remember that the Freeware license is even more limited):

Quote: "1.4 For the purposes of this Agreement the term "Game" means an interactive entertainment software game whose sole purpose is to entertain its user without further modification and which is made using the Software in accordance with its associated documentation. The term Game expressly excludes:
(a) any software tool or software product which can (or might) be used in order to create further games or other software products;
(b) any software programming language or software development kit ("SDK"); and
(c) any software library, compilation or collection of graphics and / or sounds from which a particular graphic or sound may be extracted to be used independently of the software in which it was first incorporated;
in each case irrespective of whether or not the primary purpose of such software is to entertain its user.
"

So... No, you can't do it! Sorry

Thiago
Daniel Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
How bout this, anyone with a license can obtain the source and compile it? That way I'm only distrubuting the source to my module and wrapper?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2008 23:20
If this gets the Ok I would be interested in this, I own a Commercial license for GDK.

Out of interest does it fit in nicely with BMax?

Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.
Daniel Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
It works good, yes, the only problem is, since BlitzMAX doesn't support function overloading as C++ does, I had to make a workaround for that, so the functions become:

That's the only difference.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 00:03 Edited at: 7th Apr 2008 00:21
Quote: "How bout this, anyone with a license can obtain the source and compile it?"

Yes, that should be Ok.
They'll need to download and install the GDK & Visual C++, then compile the code you give them to produce the DLL.

The same applies to them too though, and remember that they need to buy a commercial license to the GDK if they want to sell anything using it.

sigi
Years of Service
User Offline
This is cool, i have a commercial license for DarkGDK. But i only have visual c++ express 2008. Don`t know if it will compile with this, because you use vs 2005. But will try it.

AMD Athlon64 X2 4600 / 3 GH Ram / Geforce 8800 GTS-640MB / WinXP Home SP2 / Vista 64bit
Daniel Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
Let me know how that works for you.
Daniel Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
If you had any problems compiling for VS2008, I converted the code
to VS2008 Express a few days ago.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 18:38
Hi,

I have just tried your module, it compiles ok but when I try to run the executable I get an error saying: 'The procedure entry point dbInitGDK could not be located in the dynamic link library DarkGDK.dll'

Any ideas?

Microsoft Windows = BSOD
Microsoft XBOX 360 = RROD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 21:16:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 21:16:32