Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / What progarm?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 21:09
Probably a N00Bish Question but, out of curiosity, what program do those of you who make musci use? The only one I know of is garage band, but thats only for macs, so its no good to me.

...but I am the ferret king!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! tremble before my ferret minions!

Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 21:45
How about checking out my "A place to start" thread. It lists a bunch of sequenzers.

I use Reason, but FL studio is more popular in this community.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2008 22:16
okay, I'll check that out. Thanks, Grandma.

Anyone use something different?

...but I am the ferret king!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! tremble before my ferret minions!

Murdock 743
Years of Service
User Offline
Back in the days of my powerbook I used logic which was nice(though it was a mac program). Before even that I used Cakewalk Home Studio which I think was a lite version of Sonar. Only thing I really remember about it was that is was very fussy and not user friendly, but that was years ago so you should still check it out. Currently I run Reason 3.0 and whatever software is built into my clavinova(which if you have the extra cash is well worth it IMHO). FL studio seems to be good, and I believe that ACID works rather well. I've never played with FL Studio but ACID seemed rather straight forward when I played around with it.

One other thing you may want to look into is a MIDI controller it's not necessary for composing but I find that it is easier for me to play the MIDI controller than it is to draw in the notes. If you want to use your keyboard as a MIDI controller I think Bome's mouse keyboard works well.

Cheers,
Christian
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 10:37 Edited at: 20th Apr 2008 10:38
I mostly use Kontakt (3) with Sibelius (4) nowadays.
Before that I used (actually I started out with Kontakt 2 before v3) ModPlug Tracker and before that some program I think was named Anvil Studio, in order to simply make standard midi-files.

"I kören hörs de brummande busarna Björnligan och Gondolen"
Agent Joe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 11:45
I'm using Sonar Producer 5, Dimension Pro, and Tascam's Gigastudio 3. Cakewalk software did used to be hard to use... but now it is an equal to Logic Pro. I will be upgrading soon to Sonar Producer 7 and Gigastudio 4 and I am also ordering The Vienna Symphonic Library's Chamber strings from [href]www.Vsl.co.at[/href]

Try things that you normally wouldn't... you might find the answer.
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 09:41
Project5 by Cakewalk is probably the easiest synth worsktation available. Easier than Fruity, even. It's what I do most of my work in. It's certainly limited in some respects, it's more loop and pattern based, for example there's no grand staff view for composing, it's just a sequencer. I'm personally looking to move on to Sonar, but it won't produce any audio (I fear it's my combination of Vista / Creative sound card). I'm looking into Sibelius as well for scoring. Problem being that Sib can't do VSTis so you're limited to certain sounds, and half the battle for me is the sound / instrument specifically, not the melodic line it's playing.

Really the bottom line is to play around, find things that you like. Everyone here has their own preference of what they use. I've tried Ableton, Fruity, Reason, ACID for composing, and ultimately stuck with Project5 because it suited me best.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:49:23
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:49:23