Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / texture question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 23:47
I am a newb to db and to 3D modelling and i'm stuck on 2 things:
(1)In milkshape, if i create an object using points and sticks (ie triangles with vertex and face buttons) and then, once object is solid 3D, try to add texture the texture don't apply properly. It applies fine if i make a 3d object from toolbox (ie box or sphere) but not if object is my own creation.
(2)If I apply a texture on to 3d object why does it appear fuzzy and out of focus in game - i want the texture to appear in my game as clear as it is as a bmp - exactly same size and in focus.

Thanx in advance if ne1 will help me.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 01:33
okay forget (2), i hadn't set my display to 800x600 - told ya me newb
but (1) is still bugging me lots

HAL
Years of Service
User Offline
never used milkshape but i have similiar problems with blender, i think it has something to do with normals not facing in the right direction.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 01:42
What's a normal and how do i make 'em point right way - i aint ever tried 3d modelling until i bought dbp last week. Reading the forums i see lotsa people ask "can i get tutorial for programming db" but i think going through example progs teaches you plenty. What is REALY needed is a tutorial for 3D modelling cus you can't learn anything about modelling from example progs.
Oh 1 more thing - does anyone know of a site where i can download 3D text in .x format (i got some 3ds text but dbp don't seem to like 'em much)
thnx

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2002 02:52
texture definition has to be downgraded from the floats...
the easiest way to do this in DB is to put the mesh of the model into memblocks and take the 6 figure UV definitions downto 2-3 figures... you get a loss of detail, but the texture isn't blended as much and comes through much sharper

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
HAL
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry, i don't know for sure what a normal is, something to do with poly's and angles i think. they help reflect light better on a matrix. it's a pitty indi's not still around, he had them sussed. there should be tutorials for milkshape somewhere, its how i learned blender just follow them through, you'll pick it up quickly that way. 3Dexplorer will convert 3ds to x if you want to use the text you have.
sounds like Raven Vegeta know's his stuff, bit advanced for me tho, i don't even know memblock's yet.
Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2002 00:38
thnx hal.

vegeta, do i:
load object (i can do this bit)
make mesh from object (..and this bit)
make membloc from mesh (...this bit too)
locate UV data within membloc and extract it (i don't know where UV data would be - don't even know what UV is)
change UV data from big float to ickle number of 2 or 3 digits (i would need some advice for this - lotsa advice)
write this ickle number back to uv position within membloc (should be ok with this bit)
change mesh from membloc (should be str8 forward)
make object using new mesh data. (should be ok with dis too)

is that what i do? if yes could u advise me on the UV stuff that i no comprende - plz?
if no then i am far too n00b to be trying such shananigans and i go back to bottom of my learning curve.

thnx

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:27:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:27:35