Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Pre-Reqs for DarkGDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could tell me what is necessary to use DarkGDK. I'm a little confused. Is it mainly for people who are proficient in C++ and DarkBASIC? I guess what I'm basically asking is should I first learn DarkBASIC before diving into DarkGDK?

Thanks!

JackKnifeZero
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 04:27
Not at all! They are both alike. If you know C++, just jump into DarkGDK. But remember to check tutorials/forums/documentation/etc.
JackKnife Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
So would you say that it is wise to know the ins and outs...or at least the basics...of C++ before jumping into DarkGDK?

JackKnifeZero
James McGlocken
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2008 05:14
I consider myself to be a....preeetty decent php programmer I guess, but I have always had the roughest time working with the Windows API for C++ Visual Studio.

The DarkGDK API on the other hand so far has been just as easy as Dark Basic. It is also much faster and seems to be more stable than Dark Basic (I had problems in Dark Basic Classic such as flickering text even though Sync was set right, then in Dark Basic Pro I had problems with texturing, but DarkGDK all these are solved). You could even call it a scripting language rather than a programming language for it's ease of use, but what's just too good to be true is programming with things like ActiveX controls and the like and implementing it all into the DarkGDK api.

Also, DarkGDK is free and comes with the shiny new Visual Studio C++ 2008 combined with the power of the fairly recent DirectX 9.0c November SDK if I'm not mistaken. The system requiring more power from your computer can zap out intense graphics at the fastest speed I've ever witnessed for an "easy game making system".

I still havn't worked over certain differences with C++ compared to the easy Basic scripting language that was Dark Basic/Pro (arrays and the basics of C++ are still boggling me down, and I havn't even been able to get Inkey$() working yet. WHY DOSN'T if (Inkey$()="a") { } WORK!??? GAAAHHH!!)

Other than that it's all good.

PHP Programming, Music Composition
JackKnife Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the info!

JackKnifeZero

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:24:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:24:55