Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Invaders 2003 - is available for DOWNLOAD!!!!! :)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 11:34 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 19:13
OK, beta is up there. The path that you can get it from is:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ssain2/invaders2003/invaders2003.zip

please read the readme included in the zip file FIRST, thanks!

the next thing I'm working on is finishing up an actual full demo that isn't beta. From there I build more content for the other phases and then release the full game for $7-10 USD

Mostly I'm just doing this for fun. I would like to (as I state in the readme) use any money I earn to purchase more advance software to make future products that much better.

Please note the demo is free but the ReadMe.txt must be distributed with the demo for anyone giving it to anyone else. Also, I would be happy to help advise other's in their projects if they are stuck on something that I now know how to accomplish... all ya have to do is ask and i'll do my best to reply.

Thanks again, it's a relief to finally put something out there to be seen... but also nerve racking

- draez
comments? email to: bytecode1@hotmail.com

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
forgot to mention, post your system specs so i know what it can or cant run successfully on.

thanks

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2003 23:38 Edited at: 4th Jul 2003 23:39
Well, it crashed 75% of the way through the first level (GeForce4MX, on board sound, 512Mb, 2.2Ghz), but works perfectly on my 2Ghz GeForce4 Ti4800, 1Gb RAM.

I'll be uploading a RAR and ZIP compressed versions of the game later on - I've just upgraded two machines, and I need to make sure they're okay...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins and other exciting things - oh my, yes!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 00:15
You can now download it from my web site too...

http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins and other exciting things - oh my, yes!
Angeleyes
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, here we go.

1.The game speed is far too slow. It could be because of all the “x” models and the ghosting (which tends to slow down things anyway).
Possible solutions:
Use less objects.
Only use the ghosting on some types of invaders not all.
Use “area” collision detection not the built in DarkBasic one. After all you know where the aliens are going to be, so if your missile is not in that area don’t check for collisions.

2. Your program does not “loose” the end invader (or does not re-calculate the movement loop) in the movement loop, so even when you only have 4 in any row, they move across and down in short time just as if there was a full row of them. Only when you seem to have 2 rows left (2 to 4 in each row) do they start to move all the way across before dropping down.
Possible solutions:
Store your invaders in a dimensioned matrix. This will not only let your calculate where they are at any time (good for collision) but you can use it for the movement loop too.
Or… write a routine that only checks which co-ordinate in the end invaders is greater than any of the other end invaders. Your program can then tell how close to the edge your invader is.

3. The missiles look nice but are TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Slow. Plus the distance between the front and back invaders and where the mothership appears cannot be calculated as there is no reference for the player.
Possible solutions:
Map a simple grid on to the play screen. This will give the player a better feeling of depth and perspective.
When your missile has gone past the back invader, AND there is no mothership….Why not speed it up?

I like your game and concept, but I think you should take a look at “Worm Wors” to get some ideas for your program.

Ta at for now
Mary

PS: Sys specs:

2 PCs:

3.6 Ghz Dell....Fully maxed out in all ways...eg: memory etc.
Also a P800 250meg ram, Intel 82810 Gfx card (built in as with sound)

Both worked fine....No crash

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 03:15
Even on my 1.7Ghz machine (the one with the GeForce2), I thought it was pretty fast.
Tried it on my last machine, and it work okay there too. I suspect it must be something about the MX series the program doesn't like to much...
Will you be having special weapons and things like that ?

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
in the read me min specs is a system with GF3 or above. Intel video chipset lack alot of horsepower. I am putting something together for those that do not have GF3s or above. I did put it in the readme though. i even think i posted the specs in several forums.

I don't believe the Intel chipset takes advantage of hardware T&L... and this game is all about hardware T&L

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 05:51
'Even on my 1.7Ghz'

*cries* I rembmer when my 1ghz was considerd 'rather good' I doubt it'd even run on mine...

--Mouse

Famous Fighting Furball
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
depends mouse, what video card do you have?

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 12:16
I dont tend to read instruction, I'm afraid....

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 15:08
instructions? what are they? I guess there must be a lot of people out there who have badly configured systems, I keep reading about "unplayably slow" or "crashes" or whatever, but my system seems to run everything I throw at it at a reasonable speed, anyway, I am downloading now, will edit and let you know when I have run it.

Mentor.

system AMD 1.2ghz, 256mb ram, GeForece 4mx, sis6326 pci card feeding Riotous Orchid 3dfx PCI pass-through card, 1x18" monitor and 1x15" monitor,Primax scanner, Epson stylus colour 680 printer, Palm M105, Wacom graphics tablet, SB 16/32 audio, HAM Intel Winmodem, Microsoft optical trackball, DB Pro, DB classic, Div, I think thats it

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 16:40
Quote: "'Even on my 1.7Ghz'

*cries* I rembmer when my 1ghz was considerd 'rather good' I doubt it'd even run on mine..."

Consider yourself lucky, my P166 was NEVER any good.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 19:49 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 19:50
MrTAToad:
You said you liked the game:
http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=12782&b=8

Mentor:
First, not everyone is having a problem. I see two people saying they had problems and one said it ran fine on one machine but not on the GF4 MX. As for the specs, I didn't write Dark Basic Pro. I have no idea why it works on a regular GF card but not the MX's. Maybe if one of the developers would like to take a look at it they could figure it out.

Keep in mind that this is beta. I know that it works on GF3 machines and above (GF4 MX is not above a GF3, it's actually equal to a GF2 Ultra but with more features and intel's was never meant for serious 3D gaming).

Further, you're blasting the game and you haven't even tried it?!?! If you want to help write something about what happened when the game didnt start.

Those that have a gf3 or above (most of my friends) have it working and like it. Maybe you should try playing it before putting it down.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 20:10 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 20:47
Draez ..maybe YOU would read MY posts before slagging ME off , please point out the bit where I "slag your game off", actualy it`s rather good and the speed is a little slow (but I expected that with my spec) and I didn`t have any crashes (at least I assume it drops back to the desktop when you die since it is wip), I mentioned on your previous post it looked good, and I am pleased to say it plays good too, nice job

Mentor.

PS:if you are refering to the bit that says "I keep reading about "unplayably slow" or "crashes" or whatever" I was talking about DB games in general and the comments made by some playtesters, hence I started with "I guess there must be a lot of people out there who obviously have have badly configured/inadequate systems", it was a general observation about the validity of some critism, sorry if it looked misleading, I have this habit of assuming people know what I am thinking (well?...it`s obvious!...isn`t it?)

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2003 21:44 Edited at: 5th Jul 2003 23:59
Quote: "You said you liked the game"

I certainly do, and never said I didn't - got to level 4 too...

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
mentor:
no,since you were posting in this topic i thought you were talking about my game. Anyway, I can see how it got all confused .. as always text is harder to read than actually talking to a person.

I understand now what you meant.. thanks for the props.

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 08:47 Edited at: 6th Jul 2003 19:26
P.S. Don't mind me, I stayed up too long wrapping up the demo that night. :-s

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 12:11
Thats okay

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
mentor:
when did it drop to desktop? When you died with the last guy or when you first died? there is a screen that should have come up if you died with your last guy. either way, it's an issue. if you could give me the particulars (if there are any) it would be a great help. I know that MrTAToad has a GF4 MX and he said it woulldn't run on that machine but did on a different one. Maybe it's not the MX that is causing the problem since you did get it to work on your's. He did get it working on a non-MX machine so at the time we thought it was something with the graphics card... guess your system proves that wrong

MrTAToad:
can you tell me specifically where it died on you with the GF4 MX? Any kind of info would help, like did the title screen come up at all, etc.

thanks for any light you can shine!

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 21:55
It was during the game - I had the back row completely to do, only a few on the next row to that. It crashed as a couple of enemy lasers wizzeed past my craft. Hope that some help...

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2003 22:17
Nice! Ran nice and fast on my laptop (P4 2.5 GHZ, Mobility Radeon 9000). Played couple of games with no crashes.

One suggestion though: Why can't you shoot the invaders bullets?

R Tape loading error
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
I kept that like the original. If I'm not mistaken they couldn't be shot either.

Sorry I haven't been around... have to hunt for a job.

Anyone know of any ope spots for a VB expert in the security sector (in NJ or NY) drop me a line.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 11:24
'fraid not...

Will do you adding, say, special weapons ?

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2003 16:43
I tested space invaders using MAME and you CAN shoot the bullets. Oh well....

R Tape loading error
Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
sonic:
i can add that in.. actually it's not that big a deal to add it in. i just dont remember the original letting you do that. of course i could be wrong as it's been a while since i played it.

anyone else want that feature in?

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2003 12:03
Any chance of some special collectable weapons - I know its not in teh original, but it would be nice...

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
actually, that will be in the full ver. I think i might release a couple in the *official* demo release (not the beta i released). The scheme of it will probably follow that of games like Arkanoid where killing certain aliens will release new powers. Still have to work out the playability problems of doing that since I don't want to make the player too powerfull, else where is the fun?

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2003 14:13
It could be time based..

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, could pop up a timer (sprite)... good idea MrTAToad

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 15:41 Edited at: 16th Jul 2003 16:42
Thanks... In Activisions remake of Space Invaders (published by Focus), the special weapons were :

Rocket firing left & right (when hitting alien)
Rocket firing diagonal (when hitting alien)
Multiple rockets heading for the type of alien that appears in the largest quantity.
Boomerang (pretty useless)
Laser beam

Some collectables were :

Stop Movement
Shields
Rapid fire (two missiles could be launched at one go).

As the graphics are rather good, you could do some end-of-level baddies too...

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2003 16:19 Edited at: 16th Jul 2003 16:22
Nooo don't try to sell your game for money!!!
If your game are free, all the people will download the game , play it and know you.
If you game will cost at least 1$, very few people will play it.

I prefer my game are downloaded all around the world, from north pole to south pole!

Quality, quality...

i don't think my game can be selled, either the last db big game i've played , Victory road, is of no commercial use, it's very very good yea as dbpro user project, but not for commercial purpose, so, your game is very nice, but not for be selled online. x-d

hopefully the demo wasn't too big!!!!
previous you talked about 30 meg file....

Free Download for a Free World
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2003 19:08
By the way - I was playing the demo again (on my GeForce4MX computer), and the crash happened just after the weather changing effect (just after it starts raining).

JesterDev
Years of Service
User Offline
That's pretty fun! Only I few things I found annoying. First I can only get 20-30 fps on the intro (see specs below) also wait for the bullet to disapear before i can shoot takes to long. Other that that it's a really great game!

P4 2.53
1 gig DDR
Geforce4 mmx
Windows 200 Pro.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2003 01:20
It is good, isn't it ?

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 08:33 Edited at: 19th Jul 2003 08:36
JesterDev:
As far as the load screen being slow, thats because i chose to load the images needed for the game while it's phasing the title of the screen in (the "Invaders 2003" logo.. so it's not the actual game that is slow but rather the loading of the graphics for each step "closer" to being visible, if you would. That's not going to be the intro in the final so not to worry about that.

As for the shooting..that's by design, it follows the original space invaders in that you couldnt shoot more than one shot at a time. this made you very carefull about shooting once the aliens started moving. originally (before it was even shown around here) i could shoot as many as 10 shots at one time.. but then i would kill everything before they started moving quickly. i had too much of an advantage and there went the fun factor. once i scaled it down to the original idea i found the challange was much better. still if you have any idea of how to balance out the play go ahead and submit them.. i'm all ears

MrTAToad:
I'll have a look at that part of the code. so you are saying that you did in fact see the rain and then it crashed, correct? did you see the lightning effect too or did it crash before that?

everyone:
thanks for all the kind words... i'm currently looking for a job so the game is on hold for another week or so. I dont see it being on hold for longer than that. keep up the suggestions as i do read all of them and take them into account.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2003 11:50
I saw the lightning and rain and then it crashed - could be using an effect the MX doesn't have

Draez
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, i will take a look at that section then. thanks for the help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:44:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:44:58