Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Open Source Collision

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 10:57 Edited at: 14th Apr 2008 10:58
Hi,

Yesterday I have programmed my own intersect collision command. I thought you might be interested in it.

This collision has some advantages:
- Works with animated objects (even during animation!, though without bones)
- much faster than dbIntersectObject
- you can call an intersection on indidividual limbs
- you can see and modify the sourcecode

disadvantage:
- slower than sparky

Here's how it works:

Simple, isn't it?

if you add significant improvements please post the updated sourcecode.

Sourcecode and exampleproject attached.

FINAL VERSION RELEASED!!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TyroN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 21:31
really good, compared to the speed of dbIntersectObject()
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 00:13
Looks interesting, I'll take a closer look at this. Thanks

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Usukhuu
Years of Service
User Offline
very interesting.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks jason.

I thought that more people are interested in this, but apparently most people are happy with sparky and the dgdk commands.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 01:04
Well... Personally, I have this landscape that is just huge - and this solution might be better than waiting 5 minutes for my terrain to be "interrogated" by Sparky's!

BEsides, I was talking to Benjamin once about his multisync - and he said something that made a lot of sense: You don't know who's using it - you only know of those who have an issue they need help with.

My Dark OOP Lib - it's not a product, I don't care who uses it - but I bothered to put it out there with the goal of it being useful to my forum buddies - and at first it seemed DOA. Now I'm at over 300+ downloads. (Newer version less - but whatever)

So - don't hang this up yet. No way. sparky's is awesome - but I WISH there was a way to "SAVE" info from complex models so you could load it again versus waiting for it to figure stuff out each time your game starts up. Dark Physics does this. Dark Physics has its own issues! (Still great... SPARKY's and DarkPhysics are both great!) But so is this! An alternative with source!

This could be the seed that grows into some more alternative ways to skin the collision cat! Maybe I'll add it to my OOP lib for the Terrain Ground Height Stuff!

Maybe someone will take this code and bring it to another level. We don't have Sparky's Source code, nor do we have ALL the inards of how TGC works under the hood. (Sparky had this advantage I THINK (not positive but likely))

Plus - you made this StarWars thing with your brother didn't you? That was you wasn't it? If not - sorry - if so - that is a HUGE feather in your cap and people eventually notice these things!

Creme rises to the top - not innovation by itself! (It's got to be cool! )

And IMO - This is WAY COOL! You asked DirectX directly and get the collision! that is useful on many levels for us non-DirectX gurus!

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I programmed that star wars thing.

btw, I recently programmed a line counter and my star wars game has 18654 lines and more than 100 classes/structs.

I programmed the collision for my new game and I only use the directx 3dmath commands and nothing really related to the directx engine. Actually I found it really astonishing that I managed to program everything on a single day. The reason I programmed this, was that I was really annoyed by the fact that dbintersectobject is slow and works with animated objects and sparky is fast and doesn't work with animated objects.
At the moment I'm trying to make good-looking grass. If you are interested I can post it here, when there's something to look at.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 22:22
make a new thread (totally different subject) is my suggestion Yes I'm interested.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:33:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:33:28