Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3d objects on 2d backdrop

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi
How do I place 3d objects on top of a 2d background. For example:
A background of space with 3d ships moving around infront of the background. I know that there is a function to draw sprites behind 3d objects (cant find it now), but I am also using sprites for my GUI that will be infront of everything (even the 3d ships).

I would like the background to be really large (or possibly textured) so that the ships can move around the 3d world with the background always being there (as seen in SPACE RANGERS). I have tried making a 3d box and just putting a texture on it, but there must be a better way. Thanks

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 20:06
Make a 3d plain, and texture it with your image, put it behind everything else and turn of lighting for it.

tneva82
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried it. Several problems:

a) Can't put it far enough. Put it further and it dissapears. And it's still close enough that you can fly past it without too much efforts.
b) It literally halves FPS. Scary. Just plain with texture and untextured fighter model and FPS jumps from around 60 to less than 30. My computer just that bad or I'm doing something seriously wrong here?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:32:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:32:41