Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark DGK & Windows Vista op

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Are there problems with vista and Dark Gdk. I have been trying to do the Tutorials and the codes and every thing are good. But i just get a black screen that pops up every time with the past 2 tutorials. Any one know whats wrong?
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 06:02
Quote: "Are there problems with vista and Dark Gdk."

Nope!! Just Vista!!

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 06:22
haha
Starter
Years of Service
User Offline
lol i meant compatibility of vista and dark gdx.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 18:35
Others have expressed problems when they run under Vista. I've stayed away from it based on outside reviews.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 20:18
I've personally seen perfectly good memblock code CRASH on Vista

I use the handy dandy tried and true Vista Virus Remover: XP

scapino
Years of Service
User Offline
I've personally seen perfectly good memblock code CRASH on XP

I use the handy dandy tried and true XP Virus Remover: Vista

Kurt

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Everyone is complaining how bad Vista is. However Vista is the present & future. Every new PC since the last few months comes installed with Vista. MS is not selling XP licenses anymore.

You just cannot release a games today that is not Vista compatable.

Unfortunately this is the situation, if GDK does not work perfectly on Vista, then it will be pretty outdated soon. Maybe that's why its free
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 12:29
Vista is as much the future as ME - its a whack, rushed to market piece of junk whose performance is laughable.

Microsoft is already pumping out a better product - and maybe I'll subscribe to that one.

Microsoft is not the future - they are a software vendor. If they keep requiring super computers to run their, eventually people will stray.

Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 13:58 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2008 13:59
If MS did not push the envelope on the hardware you would still program game using line and point in 2D without accelerator graphic card stay in the past if you like or put some cash a side and buy yourself a descent computer with vista on it
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 17:05
Quote: "You just cannot release a games today that is not Vista compatable."

Sure I can. I can put on the following on my sales pitch:

System Requirement: Not Vista

Pure and simple, the onus is on Microsoft to put out a product that's backwardly compatible with their previous OSs. If something breaks because they can't do that I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars to fix their mistake. What ticks me the most is that when they remove support for previous versions it sounds more like a threat than a necessary business move.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 17:09
Quote: "If MS did not push the envelope on the hardware you would still program game using line and point in 2D without accelerator graphic card"

And when the envelope breaks? You don't need to push the envelope to provide a decent, reliable product. When you start pushing the envelope to show fancy products features that tend to crash the system when existing applications are run in the same environment, that's pushing the envelope to the breaking point.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 18:25
ok then go back to using DOS this should be easy for you with a lazy 8088 CPU so you could play a nice game of slow pong in black and white
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 19:05
You're twisting what I'm saying. The hardware manufacturers are taking care of the speed and capabilities of what's needed to run great graphics. Microsoft building the underlying ability to utilized these capabilities, kewl. But when you try to build on OS that pushes that to the point that it makes the system unstable, that's bad. You can still get great game performance, mind you. But when your support layer breaks someone else's code, that's irresponsible. Why would I want to write a game that runs under XP and any predicate OS just to have Microsoft make an enhancement change that breaks my application and forces me to research a workaround not to mention purchasing hardware to support an operating system that has been massively panned so that I can stay in business (I'm speaking generically since I'm not a commercial producer (at the moment.)) I'd have to incur the cost of making it work under Vista and get patches out to my previous customers, all expenses paid.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
scapino
Years of Service
User Offline
Gervais...

You cant talk to the anti-ms zealots.

Vista is LIGHTYEARS ahead of XP. Its new, and different, and the stick in the muds fear change. If they think Windows 7 is going to be different, then they are in for a rude awakening. MS isnt going back to the bad old days of leaving all the doors to its OS wide open to all intruders. You better learn to deal with it, or be willing to use an old an inadeqate OS into the future. You cant leave and go to Linux or Mac, because they have the same kind of user restrictions.

MS finally did what they should have with XP, and wrote a MODERN semi-secure operating system (just like OSX and Linux BTW).

The all-my-doors are wide open freedom (and irrisponsibilty) of the previous versions of Windows is comming to an end. I kinda wish MS put a kill switch in earlier versions of windows. Then they could throw the switch, and all those zombie spam mailers, phishing bots and virus servers running on XP and prior would dissappear overnight. The internet would breath a sigh of relief!

As for the question of Vistas succesfullness....

150 million copies sold, at lets say a conservative $100 a pop,
equals 15,000,000,000 (Thats BILLION) dollars.

Not bad for a product out for 1.5 years.

Even if all the people who bought those 150 mil copies stopped using Vista, MS still has the money!

I have been keeping track of the webstats on my websight, and in the past 8 months, Vista users have moved into the #1 spot with 11.5% hits, up from #4 8 months ago.

Vista right where it should be in terms of uptake. It takes its share from the XP users (XP dropped to second place with 8.5%, on my site).

Kurt

Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 19:22
That would be nice if the guy that make the hardware could code decent driver so that they stop hiding and let user think it is all MS fault like you, stop thinking that it is the fault of the OS but the driver that has been so poorly written

So many peoples forget that XP was crashing so many game when it fist came out now you swear you life to it

Just say to the developer at TGC that they are wasting there time doing FPS10 and all the development they are doing in DX10 is all doom and that the end of the world is coming soon ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 19:29
Nor can you talk to the MS zealots.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
Gervais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 19:35 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2008 19:39
Well Scapino you are correct there is not way for them to see the light from there caves

Lilith you can stay in your cave using Stone Age tools i won’t waste any more time on you

Bye
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 19:37
Fine you stand out in the sun and get burned.

And the word is "waste."

Lilith, Night Butterfly
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:35:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:35:08