Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / GDK.NET + Silverlight?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 16:53
Just playing around with Silverlight (because im waiting and waiting for GDK.NET) and just got a thought.... Will it maybe be possible to use GDK.NET and Silverlight togehter? Not because I need it now, but it would be funny to know

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa): www.tales-of-the-realms.com
pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 08:27
Currently, no, DarkGDK.NET will not work with Silverlight. Just as XNA and Managed DirectX will not work with Silverlight. Currently there is no (3D) hardware acceleration support in Silverlight.

However, a new release of Silverlight scheduled for winter 2008, will have support for (3D) hardware acceleration, or at least it's on the list of planned supported features. If this is the case Managed DirectX and XNA will work with Silverlight provided the right runtimes are provided.

As for weather DarkGDK.NET will work with this coming release, I've no idea. I would assume it would, provided the right runtime is available. That really depends on how Silverlight supports windowing hooks. Theoretically (and as a guesstimate I might add), it should be as simple as passing the correct window handle to the DarkGDK.

We'll just have to wait impatiently until then.

-Piro
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 20:27
Silverlight? It's another "Take Over the Internet" attempt! Don't subscribe!

pirogoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 01:06
@jason p sage: While true, Silverlight is a far better product than flash IMHO. It's far faster, and a lot less resource intensive. The fact that it actually works on Windows, OS X and Linux properly is a big plus in my opinion (whereas Flash still does not have a 64bit capable Linux port, and the 32bit version has proven to be extremely unstable).

All in all, Silverlight is really shaping up to be a serious contender with Flash, provided people start adopting it.

-Piro
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:32:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:32:31