Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2002 15:07
Hi there, just wondered why the prefered OS for DBP is 98 and not XP (http://www.realgametools.com/requirements.html),
I have 98 and I'm thinking about upgrading to XP (more like XPensive) but to be honest I've got no real reason to upgrade other than keeping up with the latest OS'.. but my machine is mainly for Gamedev and music, so looks like I'll stick with 98. Just wondered why it is "prefered" by Pro. Cheers!
Mike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2002 15:23
Hi.

Well its not prefered as you think it means. Basically the word prefered means the best setup to handle it but anything BETTER will of course run it nicer. Now as WinXP is more stable than 98 I recomend the update but theres also the fact that DBP was developed in WinXP and has the right feel for XP too.

Mike

VapourNET.com
Web Technology Experts
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2002 15:33
Maybe XP is officially supposed to be more stable than '98, but I've found XP plagued with more problems than '98 ever had.

Machine: P4 2200, 512MB, GeForce4 64MB, Audigy Platinum

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
las6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2002 15:39
well... I will stick with my 98 as long as I can.

The only reason why I would update to XP is the alphablending and shadowing of GUI parts.

Specs :: [1333Mhz : 256DDR : Geforce 2 Mx 64MB]
Arminus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2002 07:42
Ok as usual anything Microsoft (especially OS's) is plagued with bugs!, 95 is the most stable at the moment but it doesn't support all the modern things (like new AGP stuff) so 98 is the best! i have 98 SE and have very little probs,
i recently bought 2000 pro and XP liscences, XP is extremely pretty which takes up heaps of your memory and is hell trying to network it with any machine that doesn't have XP, if u wanna upgrade i suggest 2000 pro with service pack 2, and wait a while so XP can get de bugged a bit more.

By the way XP and 2000 are faster cos they dont run on top of DOS

Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2002 15:54
I have XPPro and I haven't experienced any disadvantages with DBPro demos. When I tried the demos in school on 98SE, I once faced a strange situation. At the start it crashed.. I tried again and it worked fine. I've never faced this on XPPro.. also XPHome and XPPro may have some difference about that. I know some people who have faced problems on XPHome and not in XPPro when the system spacs are the same.
However, I truly recommend to update to XP from 98SE. DB#1 may have a bit slow down, but DBPro works fine.

The evil plan is now even closer!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Specs:- P3 550 Nvidia TNT2M64, 192Mb RAM
Pickles
Years of Service
User Offline
I have used DB to develop commercial applications and in doing so was required to test the applications across a wide variety of Windows OS's. What I clearly found was, like many programs based on DirectX 8.1, Windows XP was the OS which worked 100% of the time with no errors whatsoever.

PS. Windows 95 - Most unstable OS.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2002 00:04
XP takes some learning though. It's got lots of little annoyances that are pissing me off constantly. Programs work with it in a different way. MSN messenger is very obscure under XP. It appears that it's not loaded, yet windows suddenly pop up as people page me. It's not in the hidden icons on the task bar. When I load it properly, it appears but the usual MSN bullshit happens and you can't close it cos apparently some other program requires it open (even though no other programs are loaded). I also return to my computer every now and then and find I been automatically connected to the internet (this could explain why BT keep emailing me telling me automatic disconnection redialing it not aloud and soon they'll cancel my internet access). I've recently got download accelerator pro and norton anti-virus 2003 and it's all gone insane sinse then.

XP doesn't seem to have an impact on db at all though. In fact, it seems to run fine. The demos are ok. Be prepared for lots of your software that ran on 98 not to work though. Fairly new games are alright, but oldies like Mech Warrior 3 don't work. DOS based software is totally unusable (my old music software was DOS based an is now unloadable).

Networking with a non-XP machine requires you to put yourself in the same work group and then set up custom TCP/IP numbers .... is that the protocol XP uses to communicate over a lan??!?! It appears so because you have to set the TCP numbers to be similar for the network to work. And then, yes, you have to fiddle for another hour before stuff works.

I'm sure XP will run db apps much faster because of it's lack of the DOS layer and integration with direct x. Whoever gets XP though, be prepared to get pissed of constantly as new little "helpful" features microsoft have added generally make stuff more long winded and more hidden, and you get little unexpected things because of very very gay default settings. I found extentions being turned off very annoying. I find that taskbar hiding thing very annoying. I also find the intergration with messenger very very annoying.

There's a junglist inside every coder. http://www.kontact-kru.com for my own personal breakbeat terrorism.
Gib007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2002 21:50
Long live Windows XP!

Kayron James Mercieca - kayronjm@gibnet.gi

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2002 22:06
That's somewhat akin to saying "Long live syphillis".

EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2002 12:21
I use 98 because I like playing a load of old DOS games, XP doesnt do DOS very well AFAIK.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2002 16:04
No, it doesn't do DOS at all. All your games would be obsolete if you go to XP.

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2002 20:19
anyone else hate ME? (windowsME)

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Incandescant
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2002 01:38
I HATE WinME. Every time me and my crew gather for a LAN (and Network gaming) session WinME threw up problems, random ones it seemed! The bugger!! It sucks. I prefer Win2K, it's stable as (the only time i've ever seen scan disk or blue screens of death is when i tried to mount my girlfriends HDD which is severely fooked). Long live Win2K, it's like WinXP only less pretty and less system intensive! Oh and also cheaper, i got it for £50 for being a student
flanque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2002 17:51
I do not know how some people are having problems with Windows 2000 or Windows XP. They're quite simply superior to the 95/98/98se/Me line of OS.

The protected memory and additional API put them leaps and bounds ahead of any MS OS before it..

Generally I have found that if you are having a problem with your system crashing on Win2000 or WinXP, it's more likely your hardware and/or associated drivers and not the OS itself.

95/98/98se/Me are shiet.. 95 especially.. how this could be considored the most stable out of the rest is beyond me.. if it were, 98/98se/Me would be around.. since these really are rebadged, patched versions of 95.

:: Specs: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz), 256MB PC133 SDRAM, Leadtek Geforce 2MX SH 64MB, SB-Live!, LG Studioworks 775N 17", MS Natural Pro KB, MS Optical Mouse, Windows 2000 Pro (SP3) ::
flanque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2002 17:53
98/98se/Me wouldn't be around sorry..

:: Specs: AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4GHz), 256MB PC133 SDRAM, Leadtek Geforce 2MX SH 64MB, SB-Live!, LG Studioworks 775N 17", MS Natural Pro KB, MS Optical Mouse, Windows 2000 Pro (SP3) ::
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2002 23:09
XP only has problems if you upgrade from Windows 98. Do a clean install on half-decent kit and it works a treat.

Fast, reliable (by Windows standards at least) and relatively bug-free (WinXP worked OK first release, neither Win98 or Win95 worked at all well until their major update - Win95 OS/2 and Win98 SE)

Still... give me Linux anyday (although that suffers from many compatability problems)

flanque
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2002 03:01
I am at a cross road on Linux over Windows. In some ways it seems better in terms of bugs and functionality, but at the same time the UI seems quite annoying to use at times.

Perhaps though, this is a product of being "Windowised" rather than a disfunctional UI.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2002 10:34
Linux is an ok operating system but lacks the commercial entities found in mac and windows for it to be a total solution so far in its timeline gor my needs

Theres a few good programs in linux for video editing and 2d image manipulation and minor stuff for 3d, a lot of database solutions and few games.

Its the lack of support for other applications i currently use that keeps me on windows or mac.

Granted MAC OSX is porting shop for a linux type environment but its not enough yet.

Linux is fun but not complete enough to replace a pc or mac when in design or multimedia. It can out perform in coding and database and being a host server but alas it falls short in multimedia and compatability with directx.

linux's trump card is its price, if it gets better at multimedia and file handling for pcs and macs it will topple some pedistals but isnt quite there yet in these respects.

Most Operating systems work well if u spend the time to get to know them, and alas not one operating system will fill my requirements so i use the best of them all for whats required.

i prefer 98se and havent had any issues with XP so far from what ive actually experienced, I have heard a great FPS drop in XP on some games but i cant verify it.

Newbi2basic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2002 12:54
I installed XP pro on my new hard drive... I would install graphics card drivers and stuff... but it kept throwing errors about the device could not be started....

SO I went to hell with it go back 2 98 and actually missed the old bugger

LONG LIVE WIN98...

p.s. Linux would be succesful if microsoft didnt exist... lol

"When all is lost and you have nothing to lose. Thats the time to win stuff back..." Newbi2basic 23:33 26th august 2002
InSiDeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2002 13:37
ME just never took off and it lost support real quick.

XP is just...newer,hehhe

- InSiDeR
http://www.darkbasicplanet.com
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2002 14:02
I've had no real problems with XP (I've got three home machines). I do have a few niggles with it though, mainly to do with the NTFS file security (its annoying that you can't get to protected files even in the Remote Console mode); the error message you can get at startup saying there was an previous error is annoying.

Most problems are cause by badly designed hardware and/or software (and cheaper computers) - an internal modem I got with one of my machines kept crashing XP - so I took it out and got a new one, and its all fine.

The other main problem is that Microsoft dont test their updates enough - a 'critical update' actually knocks out my AGP port for some reason.

It is one operating system that I didn't crash within 5 seconds of logging in (my record for Windows 2000).

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2002 16:26
indi, you've got a good point, I'll give you that.

For multimedia / design:

Illuminatus + QuarkXPress + PSP 7 + Adobe Premiere = Happiness.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:59:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:59:43