Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Completely new to Dark sdk and c++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 14:42
Hi there,
i was just wondering if i need to have skills in using c++ before using dark sdk?

I have not really been programming before, but i would like to get into using c++ and dark sdk.
I was making a small simple game in Game maker for an artifact in school. I somehow stumbled upon Dark Sdk and found it very interesting and thought that was something i wanted to learn.
I have several years of experience using different 3d programs so creating 3d objects is not a problem for me. however learing the language and where to start is my problem.
If i learn c++ will i be able to efficienly use Dark sdk or is it like a different language?
or are they combined?
Sites for basic use of c++ and/or Dsdk would be apprieciated.
thanks.
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 19:32 Edited at: 17th Apr 2008 19:33
No, you can get by with 0 C++ skills, and this forum. But, really...C++ is not for the timid at all. You will learn it whether you want to, or not. You will get a lot further if you learn C++.

C++ is actually incredibly simple...there are only about 60 keywords total in the C++ standard. Adding MS extensions bumps that up, but the basic language is not overly complex. OO concepts are a different matter. Class design and implementation, while straightforward, is pretty complex for all but the simplest cases.

If you have experience developing with GameMaker, you have already been using OO techniques, albeit not at this level.

GDK insulates you from learning the IDE somewhat, and that's a boon to beginners...but you will not get far without learning how to modify your projects, and create your own classes.

One thing that is entirely absent is any sort of instruction about Windows programming. That's not really TGC's responsibility, however. It is important to realize how Windows works, and there is an entire OS available if you know how to use it.

Two glaring problems with MSVC++2008 (the free version) are that there is no resource editor and the help is online. You can use resource files, but you cannot generate them automatically, nor can you edit them visually. The help issue can be resolved by downloading and installing the Platform SDK, which has its own help, and is not online help. I have posted simple resource files about half a dozen times now...maybe a mod could do that and sticky it...eveyone will want it sooner, rather than later.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 17:33:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 17:33:27