Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / A couple of questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
1 - how do i make other 3D objects move in my environment? it could be a fixed movement around the world? also, is there a way to upload a model with a .mesh extension name?

2 - my car climbs up walls in faster speeds but if the or the movement of the object is only at 0.7 and below, it detects the wall and collides with it though if i turn my car in a certain angle, it still climbs up the vertical wall. how do i fix this?

3 - how could i do the rear-view mirror?

any help and ideas will be greatly appreciated
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 19:12
1. The other objects can be moved in the same manner as your player object, except that there is no input to trigger the movement. Timer based movement is one way to do this. Search the newsletters and the forums for timer based movement.

2. That is the collision detection. You can do a number of things, but the most effective thing is to adjust the collision mesh in some way. I reduce the size of the collision mesh so that it is smaller. Also, basic sliding collision only works on the y axis, and only works well for fairly flat and even surfaces. You will eventually need to have a more realistic collision scheme that involves physics, or you can attempt to control it given the situation at hand. A quick fix is to check the angle of the object and the world, and use that to decide whether or not to allow the object to move in the desired direction. (For example, you might want to limit movement if the grade is too steep, or accelerate if it is a negative grade.)

3. This can be done with another camera and bitmaps, or a shader. The first way is involved, and I have not tried it. Basically, you use another camera to capture the desired view. Setting up the camera is the hard part, I think. Then you draw the bitmap on the mirror. Using a shader would probably be faster, and I'm sure that there is one done already somewhere around here. In any case, the mirror needs a texture for you to draw the reflection on. I'd start there.
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks jinzai

i forgot to ask this one: my professor told me to put a sort of stop light in my environment. i know how to model it but i want to know how to make it work properly while running the game.
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
here's another question.

what extension names could be used to make a level either than .dbo?
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 21:57 Edited at: 19th Apr 2008 22:00
You can use .X and also .bsp Using PixelPerfect's 3DWS loader, you can use 3DWS. That is probably the most complete way, as it uses all of the information in the map, but it requires 3DWS ($80).

.bsp is great because there is automatic collision detection/response, but it is a major pain to get the .bsp file because the editors are tied to games like QuakeII/III and HalfLife. Its difficult to sever that tie, and use the editors for your own game.

I think the point of the professor's task is to use the hardware lights for that. You will only need to use one at a time, placed at the appropriate spot, and colored the appropriate color. you can use the timer based code to change the state, and hence the light properties. If you create a separate limb for each lens, it will be very easy to do, since the object will already be divided properly. Give them names like "greenlens", and you can use limb name to get the correct limb number in that case, making it easy. You could also make a lightmapped texture, but you won't get very realistic results without alot of texturing work.

Have you ever watched someone play GTA, and drive by stoplights? Notice that there are never more than 6 lights showing, usually, there are 4 or less visible. They are using hardware lights, I think, so they can only have 8 of those total. The ambient light counts as 1, so there are 7 left for other things. Tail lights, street lights, etc.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 18:53
Or you just make objects with emissive shaped like the "Bulbs" and place over your traffic light in the right position

Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
here's a new one.

how do i use the timer function and where do i place it? i want the timer to start when my car leaves the ground.

also, where's the collision mesh in this code?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 22:36 Edited at: 24th Apr 2008 22:39

[edit]forgot to reset CarLeftGround back to Zero when landed. FIXED[/edit]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:16:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:16:39