Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Where are the Ladders in FPSC ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
On the FPSC homepage TGC state "From high-tech labs and ammo holds to gritty caves and classic German manor houses - we've included all you need. Doors, corridors, gantries, ladders, lifts, room segments, ceilings, furniture, objects, ammo crates and more." well it says ladders but where are they i need a ladder and u say there is one but where.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 18:21
Oooops! They forgot the ladders. I think there was a ladder in the Early Adopters version (not sure) but never in the full release. It's been a sore spot, but a search for "ladder" will get you some alternatives and 3rd party ladders.

Best.

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 18:33
False advertising , that is. You could sue them

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Gandalf the New
Years of Service
User Offline
theres one on fpsfree.com

and lulz
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 19:50
I've got 2 FPSC ladders.

1 is a static segment ladder which works perfectly in X9 with the only restriction that it's limited to 1 segment in height due to being angled slightly to allow the player to jump up it.

The other is an entity ladder with a script and therefore needs to be made dynamic . I think thats the one on fpsfree. The only problem I've found is when you walk up to it the player starts moving up vertically but doesn't stop. It seems as though it goes into a loop where the player is automatically moved upwards rather than only moving up when a key is being pressed.

I think someone needs to revisit the entity ladder script. I might have a look but there are far better scripters that could probably fix this very easily. It would be perfect if you could walk up to it and climb just be using the forward key then carry on walking once you got to the correct height.
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 19:52
Quote: "Oooops! They forgot the ladders. I think there was a ladder in the Early Adopters version (not sure) but never in the full release. It's been a sore spot, but a search for "ladder" will get you some alternatives and 3rd party ladders."

...there was a working vertical ladder in the EA version...I know, I own it. (Used to really love climbing up into those WW2 guard towers and overpowering the snipers)

Apparently, in their rush to improve FPSC, they found problems between the ladder and physics, so they omitted it.

Unfortunately, they don't think that it's important enough to solve the glitch, and put back the ladders...or remove the reference in the promotional description.

etjgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys i have downloaded other ladders but they don't work.Would it be possible for one of you guys to post a working ladder. It will be mostly appreciated. Thanks

ETJ Games
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 20:14
I really want that ea version thing.

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 20:24
I rckon they should bring back everything from the EA version in version 2.0

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 20:41
This hasnt anyhting to do with ladders but with what has mysteriously disapeared.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=114878&b=21

The image attached in that post is even on the FPSC site. Notice those Robots lying on the ground on their belly and sniping.

etjgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Why don't they give back the EA Version if it worked then why can't we have, TGC you have broken a promise and it would be easy to fix, just give us the EA Version!

TGC we just want back the EA Version things!

ETJ Games

Sorry for getting mad and annoyed but this is stupid and you shouldn't of got rid of it, but all i can say is you brought this on yourself TGC.
etjgames
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Bloodhound 2 What i mean is the features not the bugs but is that possible to get the features without the bugs ??
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 21:32
Back by popular demand, a rework of the xplosys ladder. It's a simple static entity with no scripting required. Just place it against a wall and walk up it.

I placed an invisible ramp in front of the ladder (see attached) and the angle is hardly noticeable in game, but climbs with ease.

Again, because of the ramp, this is a one-story ladder only. You cannot stack them to climb multiple levels. You will have to move the ladder over to another grid if you want to go up multiple levels.

Download in next post.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 21:33 Edited at: 17th Apr 2008 21:36
... and the download.

Oh, and the texture is very simple to change. You'll notice the pure black on the right side for the ramp. Dont change that, but the rest is the ladder metal. Have at it and post it for others if you make a good one.

Best.

Attachments

etjgames
Years of Service
User Offline
@ xplosys Thanks alot for the download it is greatly appreciated. Is it allowed to be used in commercial games and can i use it for what ever i want.

Thanks alot ETJ Games
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 21:44
search "stamina's model pack".

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2008 21:47 Edited at: 17th Apr 2008 21:54
Quote: "Is it allowed to be used in commercial games and can i use it for what ever i want."

Yes. A readme.txt file is included in the download.

Quote: "search "stamina's model pack"."

Yes, that's another good source and you can find it on my website.

Best

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 00:38
Just my 2¢, but there is a ladder model in meshbank....

Also, about the laying down sniping enemies, that was removed 'cos when entities are animated, they still have their original collision box, so you could shoot at where their body was if they were standing, and hurt them....

Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 12:43
Bloodhound 2 stop asking ETJ to sue them.
Kerrby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 13:56
Quote: "Fine i was only joking I'm sure no one would do it anyway they do allot for us and this is only a small thing."

It's a small thing you made into a HUGE thing. Read some of your posts to understand why.
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 16:27
Hmmm...I got the ladder too, I got it from this game, seeming as fpsc did not have the ladder script,however it did have the mesh in our mesh banks(true!!!)

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=59192&b=25

This is a old game but good, and also has the script for the ladders.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 17:33
Oh yeah, Conker Bunker was ahead of it's time. It had some custom media, and is still up to par with a lot of what is being made today. I didn't know about the ladder script though. Thanks for that.

Best.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 17:53
Yeah, that game was awsome, Im still playing it now...
its like doom, but next gen.
Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 18:06
Whoa, cant wait to play it!

Formerly Bum Fat Cheese
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 23:07
I made a new ladder with a better, less noticable climbing ramp and posted it here in the models and media forum. It comes in multiple colors.

Best.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2008 23:45
For those curious - the EA version had ladders and far more character animations (leaning, prone, ect.). It did not have physics, ran a bit slower, and had some more bugs. It's probably not worth going back to. As for the character animations, I could try re-installing the EA version (kept it on disc) and see if I could strip the animations out and apply them to a V1 character, could prove interesting (obviously I could not redistribute, however)

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 03:02
Quote: "...I could try re-installing the EA version (kept it on disc) and see if I could strip the animations out and apply them to a V1 character, could prove interesting..."

...I've done just this, Airslide. The animations do work, but in the case of the prone position, coffee grunt is dead on with the collision box...a shot where the enemy would be standing does register as a hit.

It's still nice to take a trip down memory lane...

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 06:15
Curse the collision box! I was hoping to use the lean animations aswell, but thinking about, that would have the same problem. How did the EA version manage? I could swear it didn't have this problem.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 14:55
Quote: "ran a bit slower"

Odd?
I seem to get 45fps on conker bunker, but agian, 3 gigs of ram...

Quote: "collision box"

Yes about the collison, the enemies always went through doors, non stop, they move back, and they move into a door, then "What the F is that"

"Its a hand and a gun"

*BANG*

game over...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2008 16:29
Quote: "coffee grunt is dead on with the collision box...a shot where the enemy would be standing does register as a hit. "

Ocho Geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 00:20
Quote: "The image attached in that post is even on the FPSC site. Notice those Robots lying on the ground on their belly and sniping."

EA... duh

newcomers

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 21:06 Edited at: 20th Apr 2008 21:10
Quote: "Hmmm...I got the ladder too, I got it from this game, seeming as fpsc did not have the ladder script,however it did have the mesh in our mesh banks(true!!!)

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=59192&b=25

This is a old game but good, and also has the script for the ladders."

I downloaded this and the only script I could see which sounded relevant in the scriptbank is 'myMoveUp.fpi' but I've tried applying this to a ladder entity and it doesn't work. Can you confirm which script your referring to?

I tried Xplosys static ladder with ramp which actually works very well but still restricted to 1 segment in height per ladder.

Can anyone post a working ladder script that will go with a dynamic vertical ladder model, ideally that allows for more than 1 ladder / segment in height if placed on top of each other?
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2008 21:55
Are you sure you're ladder was dynamic, inmobalised?

Either way I'll search for the script now.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 00:07
Yeah I've made it dynamic and tried with Isimmobile yes and no but still doesn't work.

Thanks for searching, that would be appreciated.

I'm having a go at doing a script as I need to improve my knowledge and this seems like a good one to try and figure out.

I've been playing around with Xplosys ladder script and can see why they might have taken the EA version out. The collision detection seems a bit tricky in terms of player distance with the ladder and player association.

Ideally I'd like to have something that will associate the player when close enough then move you up the ladder if forward key is being pressed or down the ladder if backwards key being pressed then unassociate the player when they reach the correct height i.e. at the top or bottom of the ladder.

It'd be nice to see the script from that game working though and how it was written.
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I suppose now they have that "head" thing in FPSC v108 (or 9?) they could add the "prone" enemies.

I see no reason to take away the ladders though.

So a Shepard said to his flock; "Thou shalt be confuseth!" and so they were.
JSNDS99
Years of Service
User Offline
Yer it would be really good if they brought them back as i really need some for a game i am making
etjgames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 12:19 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 12:24
Do u think tgc will bring back the ladders or not cos they are needed in fps games.

Thats ok Bloodhound 2 thanks for making it

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 14:34 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 14:35
I posted a working ladder I created for my own game a long time back after TGC removed them.

It may stil be around and might be one of those some of you have found recently.

Anyway I have attached it again. It is a segment and all the files needed including the instructions are included in the attached .zip file.

It is not perfect by any means but at least it provides a ladder which functions.

Dont complain if it is not perfect. I do not support it. Use it or dont use it as you wish. I may update it at some time and in the meantime its free for anyone to take and modify it if they can make it better for the benefit for the whole community. It is a WIP for anyone that wants to develop it further and I am sure there are some that may be able to do so. At the moment it suits my purposes and although some find it difficult to climb I have no problem with it personally. If its a challenge in a level then all well and good as far as I see it. I dont like to make levels to easy for the player especially when under attack.

You can stack the ladder with enough effort if I remember correctly but because it has a slight angle the higher the stack the further from the base of a wall the bottom might be so it does not look so good. With a single height of course the angle is hardly noticable in gameplay.

Ideally there is no substitute for a Ladder which TGC can incorporate so the engine recongises the object correctly but dont hold your beath for that to be reintroduced. I have no idea why its such a problem for TGC but apparently there is a either some technical reason or simply not the will to reintroduce ladders to FPSC.

Attachments

Aaagreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 15:18
Thanks!

The Simon Cowell of TGC.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 18:40
ConkerBunker! Now that's an FPSC classic. I downloaded it, thinking that it was some game that I missed back in the day, but I immedately recognized it when I fired it up. Still as fun as it was when released, fast-paced and straight to the point. And let's not forget the old EA-sounds. Ah, memories.

Check out the Gunn3r Games web-site and its growing community, and expand the joy of indie development!
http://www.gunn3rgames.net/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:17:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:17:34