Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Executables Dependent on DirectX SDK installation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to make my executables work without the DirectX SDK installed?

Taco Justice
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
As long as you have the right DLL files and your exe/media files it will run fine.

TIP: dont compile in debug mode.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 18:03
The end user will still need to have the correct DirectX runtime installed.

Ghthor
Years of Service
User Offline
My executables do not work unless the end user has DirectX SDK installed.

@unitech
"right DLL files and your exe/media files it will run fine."???? what do you mean.

Taco Justice
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
your exe will work as long as the user has Directx 9.0c installed (NOT sdk).

Most users already have Directx 9.0c since practically every game around these days requires this
Ghthor
Years of Service
User Offline
@bjadams

nope, my exes are not working unless the computer has the SDK installed as well

Taco Justice
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 01:01
Installed or just having the DLL in one of the typical load directories?

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Ghthor
Years of Service
User Offline
@ lilth

I don't know so far all the testing I've done has just been installing the sdk.
I was going to do some testing with placing individual required .dll's on the test machine but I thought I'd ask you guys on here first.

Taco Justice
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 09:45 Edited at: 24th Apr 2008 11:40
I'd advise against that. DX is not supposed to be distributed piecemeal like that. This is stemming from something other than what it appears, and that is the big hammer method, and not at all in keeping with MS's intent.

I have not installed GDK on my development machine, but I am going to do that this week, and see what the deal is, but...

...DirectX is a holistic system, and also you can cause issues if you have a portion loaded from your application, and another application uses the installed version, which references the same DLL. This is exactly what MS wants to avoid by making DX a complete system.

EDIT: In fact, the issue is most likely that they have DirectX 9.0C from an earlier date. It will still say its DirectX 9.0C, but it will still be incorrect. It must be the DirectX 9.0C from August 2007, and no other. (Or, so it would appear.)

Here are mine for April 2007:

I just downloaded and installed the DX SDK Aug 2007, and I installed the latest version of the runtimes. The only difference that I can see using dxdiag is that now I have managed DX code installed, as well.

This is a link for the latest DirectX redistributables, and it is what would provide to your users:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=740AC79A-5B72-447D-84F9-EE6407ED1A91&displaylang=en
Ghthor
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok so my test machine's directx was not updated to a version equivilent or newer then august 2007. That was a dumb mistake on my part. I thought I had updated it and the only thing that I tested was the lack of the SDK installation which may have updated the runtime components and that's why it was all working after the SDK installation. Yay Thread closed IMO

thanks you guys

Taco Justice
jinzai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 22:13 Edited at: 24th Apr 2008 22:19
...except for one thing, Ghthor. That's not a dumb mistake, imo.

If you look at those pics, the DX version (which has 3 components!) is the same in all cases. They all say DirectX 9.0c, and the file versions/dates are the same. That is inconsistent and wrong on MS's part.

As a developer, you want the ability to check for the proper versions AND the ability to give the user an opportunity to get the proper version. (Plus, MS provides developers with runtime component installation code that we can provide the user in order to rectify the situation.)

GDK would be a better product if it didn't simply give this type of cryptic message. (Not a slam at TGC, just the fact that the developer is then left with solving the problem with their hands somewhat tied.) I can write a bit of code, give it a version number, and then check it against my code that has started, and give an informative answer...

MyApp 3.0 requires My3D version 9.0.10001c. You appear to have My3D version 9.0.1a installed. Would you like to upgrade? (Installation requires this upgrade.)

Every commercial game I have (Okay, all 3 of them!) for the PC has the proper DirectX runtimes available on the CD, and the install checks for the proper version and prompts for install. I suppose that the install could do that...if only the file date/time and/or the version were enough. That does not seem to be the case here.

Oh well, glad you got it sorted anyway.
Cheers.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:25