Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Interested in RakNet? Or need help with starting a multiplayer project?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 00:36
I notice how much interest there is for RakNet on these forums, I also know how confusing it can be for beginners. I have already taken the time to learn basic RakNet operation.

For the past 4 months me and a friend have been putting together the beginnings of a possible MMO using Raknet / darkGDK. If I made my code available for sale, Would there be interest in the basic server / client source code?

This would cut at least a month or two off of production, learning, and integration time for a beginner as the basic RakNet interface is built and passing variables, the collision system is implemented, and the darkGDK is fully integrated for the client.

You would be able to start coding your vision much sooner then would be possible without my starter code. This would be sorta like a jumpstart to multiplayer programming for the beginner..

Let me know who would be interested in this, if there is enough interest I will definitely clean and comment the code a whole bunch, make a tutorial or two, and make a couple examples. Obviously I dont want to go purchase a commercial license yet if there is no interest..
Spindiggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

I am interested in this. I replied to another thread about Winsock and Networking and mentioned both Rakknet and OpenTNL.

At first, I thought everything had to be based around DarkGDK. Never looking at it like a DirectX wrapper simular to SlimDX. Because of that, I had never looked at Rakknet, OpenTNL, Bullet Physics, Havok ECT until now. Now I realize that you can use any third party C++ library with DarkGDK.

My only concern with Rakknet is that it's built (from what I was told) for clients and servers that do not exist on the same machine. This is where I figured OpenTNL would be more fitting since it's easier to use and can host both Client/Server on the same machine simular to Quake 3, Call of Duty 4 ect. OpenTNL is also found in TGEA which is also used in some MMO's so there is support for FPS, MMO and MMORPG games in OpenTNL.

Can rakknet provide both client/server architecture on the same host os?

Chris
TheeLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 08:03
Yes you can run both the client and server on the same machine with Raknet.. you just need to make sure you allow enough processing power for the 3d stuff on the client while your server is running.

I've done testing with the client and server on the same machine and client performance is reduced, yet with some optimization for this sort of environment, you should be able to improve performance and get a couple dozen connections onto that machine running both the client and server.

Obviously if you had a dedicated server, a few hundred connections would easily be achievable with the code written already.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 20:51
2 questions.

1. How much is a commercial license for RakNet?

2. How much would you charge for such a "Client / Server Starter Kit" ??

TheeLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 23:41
A commercial license for RakNet starts at $100, it's pretty much a pay what you can license past that. You need to read their licensing material to understand it better. Obviously, if you sold your project, you would need to purchase a RakNet license as well.

I would think somewhere between $50 and $100 depending on interest and how good I think my documentation is and everything.. I feel bad charging for this sort of thing, but I'm broke, and it took me a couple months to get the hang of RakNet since documentation for beginners is so so so poor. And I need to get funding for my project.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2008 00:13
I do remember reading about the commercial license now. It was a "Pay what you can afford" sort of thing.

That amount seems reasonable, and I think for those of us that are diving into MMO territory it would be a huge step in the right direction.

SoulMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2008 08:12
Raknet looks very interesting... I must read more.

No Kittah, this is my potpie!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:15:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:15:40