Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / New to Dark GDK! Need help!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 01:02
I recently downloaded Dark GDK along with all the required files, and I expected the program to be like DarkBasic (tutorials, instructions on how to code in C++, etc.). However, when I opened up Visual C++, all I found were a few wizards and a bunch of new commands. All the help files assume that I already know C++, so I was wondering if anybody knew a good, free method of learning C++. Am I missing something in the help files? Also, I noticed a lot of similarities in the Dark GDK commands and DarkBasic commands. Does this mean that Dark GDK is just DarkBasic for Visual C++? I would really appreciate answers to these questions, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid noob question. Thanks in advance!

Think Wolf.
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 03:47
Learn the syntax by making simple DOS programs from scratch.

If you want to get started, here you go:

#include <iostream> //gives you the DOS functions

using namespace std; //the standard namespace

int main() //main function
{ // start of main()
cout<<"Hello!"; // prints Hello!
} // end of main()

I don't need an oven to make my cookies.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 03:59
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Also Note... the demos? where they have code that says dbLoadObject("Somedir/somefile.x"); ... Well they released it ONE DIRECTORY to far down. so at the top of my tutorials, I put in a dbDir(".."); to bring the working directory up one. then all of a sudden all the media was loading correctly.

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 08:07
I'm only marginally familiar with Dark Basic but I'd suspect that the reason the instructions are greater there is because the Basic portion of it is provided TGC where as the C++ is provided by an outside agency. My advice is to look for online tutorials for C++. I know there are a large number out there. Once you find one that approaches the teaching in the manner that's easiest for you make sure you bookmark it so that you can come back to it and not have to start on a different tutorial.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
D Wolfie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2008 00:57
Thanks for the help!

Think Wolf.
Stephen Young
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 23:35
Ah right, ive just fully reinstalled dark GDK and im just a tad lost with DOS programs, i know how to get all the GDK stuff up, but how do i start a new code for a dos program, i go to win32 and select consolo app, ok then i type in

and i get the following errors.

Can any one tell me what im doing wrong? im pretty eagar to start programming c++
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 23:41
Um, your error message says to add the precompiled header stdafx.h or something to your project. Maybe you should hunt for and disable the flag that makes your project use precompiled headers... like stdafx.h or whatever.

Also, you could try adding the #include <stdafx.h> to your program. also, the normal google search, using EXACT text snips of your errors (one at a time) is usually helpful with online searching, thats what I do.

Stephen Young
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2008 23:45
I got it, instead of going to consolo app, i went to urm, windows app and disabled header files, then ran that code it it works, but the DOS box just flashes up and there is nothing there and closes, am i missing a peice of code that stops the app from closing?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:17:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:17:26