Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 3D Studio Max Imports?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, everyone. I'm a 3D animator (student) and I have a game idea that I want to put into action. I downloaded Visual C++ and the DarkGDK "wizard". I've looked over the tutorials, and I have a small understanding of what it does. My question is, can I import .max files? I don't want to pay even more money for a 3D program that I don't know how to work when I already have both 3D studio Max 9 and Maya learners addition. So my question is, can I simply use max files? If not, is there a converter out there to change 3D files from max, maya, exc to the proper file extension?

Thanks in advanced!
RancidRat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 09:26 Edited at: 24th Apr 2008 09:28
Hey Dude
Dark GDK does not support those formats. It says that it does support 3ds files, but even that is not really true. There are many forum posts about this. The best and safest way to load 3d objects is to load them as .X files. I often download 3d objects, and then I convert them into .X files.

3d studio max has a plugin called Panda somthing, it allows you too export to .X format. I have asked this same question before
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124888&b=22
Now, there is another thing you can download for free, I can't remeber where I found it. It think the one part is

http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/downloads/files/winconvx.zip
This is a command line thing that allowes you to convert .3ds to .X

Someone made a gui version of it that works when it is in the same DIR as that exe:
http://francis.dupont.free.fr/coindev/conv3ds.exe

It might be the other way around, anyway, download both and put them in the sam dir and then open the one called winconvx
I use this cause its free. It only converst .3ds to .X

otherwise, try and get that panda thing for 3d studio max
unitech
Years of Service
User Offline
use panda soft, works the best for max 7-9.

http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 19:27
That explains why my game freezes when I try to use a .3ds model...

I don't need an oven to make my cookies.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i would suggest converting your max/maya files to .X with Deep Exploration. A bit expensive but it works for me. you might need to save them out as FBX first
Pyrro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 22:16 Edited at: 24th Apr 2008 22:30
Thank you RancidRat! I'll look into those. I know very little about C++, but I hope a friend of mine will be able to work GDK a little better then I have managed myself. This forum and Autodesk Area seem to be the most friendly forums for 3D I've seen. Thanks again, guys!

Edit: Well...crap. I figured I would be able to find one that converts .max files to .x files. This kinda stinks. .3ds files are no longer suported by Autdoesk programs since max...7 I believe. I'll look for a converter from .max to .3ds then use to .x converter. It might be messy, but I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thanks, anyways guys. This helps a lot! =]
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 04:06
That's strange... You should be able to export max files to 3ds using 3ds max 9 (or any other version)... I have a trial of 3ds max and I can...

As far as I know it is impossible to convert max files to anything else because .max is a closed format that can only be manipulated by 3ds max...

If you want to convert .max to .x... First use 3ds max to convert max to 3ds and then use some other free (or not) 3d modeling program to convert 3ds to x... A good example would be fragMOTION... or maybe Blender...

~~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.~~
Pyrro
Years of Service
User Offline
*hits self in head*
I'm...ubber stupid. I forgot all about Export. I like to say I'm a max expert, but I'm not at any means. I'm just a student level modeler. =p

Well, thanks guys. I've got it to work. Now on to make my demo!
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 08:02
You are the opposite of me then Pyrro... I don't really know anything about modeling but I'm very familiar with the Export feature of all modelers... LOL...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i converted a lot of 3ds and max 2007 files to .X with Deep Exploration.
Core2uu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2008 20:18
Problem with Deep Exploration is it's not free... You could use it but if you don't have you'd have to pay big bucks... I'd rather do it the free way...

Jithu
Years of Service
User Offline
hai...
i think dark gdk supports .fbx files.
So you can export your model to fbx file in 3D Studio Max...

One day, i'll create a stunning 3d game,now learning...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 19:11:27